Prev: Re: Happy Birthday To Oz (was HAPPY NEW YEAR!) Next: Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3

Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 22:42:39 +1100
Subject: Re: [Ft} OU & IC & FB3

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>

> Problem here. Brendan Pratt doesn't design any custom ships (unless
> he's begun doing so in the last half year), so he can simply reduce
the
> points costs of the published ships by 15%. The rest of us can't do
> that - we have to reduce the cost of some specific Kra'Vak components
> instead. But which ones, and by how much?

I think the KV are balanced in vector. So a straight 10-15% discount
across
the board
wouldn't be too bad when playing Cinematic.

> >http://members.optusnet.com.au/~cgs/Blurbs2001.html#FULL%20TH>RUST
> >Sa'Vasku range bands altered to 8" bands.
>
> 8" or 9", yes.

Much of a muchness, I could live with either, the difference is lost in
the
noise.

> >Point defences treat Plasma Bolts as normal targets with no re-rolls
> >(1-3= 0pts 4-5= 1pts 6= 2pts).
>
> Can live with that.

Me too - don't see why it's needed, but no reason why not.

> >Close range set pulsers only yield 4d6.

> We've fought a dozen battles on fixed 4'x8' tables pitting FB1 fleets
> against "all-C" Phalon forces now, and the Phalons have *still* lost
> every one of them... Brendan never described what tactics the Phalons
> use to keep the range close (nor what tactics their opponents have
> tried to prevent them from closing), so I still don't know what we're
> doing wrong locally :-(

Or what *we're* doing wrong locally. maybe we're missing something
obvious that your group has seen.

Maybe a PBEM game would be in order here? No need for actual combat,
just manouvering.

> >c) Fleets. We should at least have all the ships that GZG currently
> >make. Anything else?
> > IC forex?
>
> Max 4 fleets in a fleetbook; may be less if there are many new rules.

Depends on the size of the fleet. For example, IF and UNSC are both
large
ranges. But OU has a small range - FF, DD, CL, CA, CVL, that's it.
If my "modular designs" are adopted, this could have maybe another
page consisting of the standard modules, but it's still only 3-4 pages.

> GZG currently has 4 fleets without any published stats: UNSC, IF, OU
> and ORC.

ORC - Out Rim Coalition. (as opposed to Orcish Revolutionary..)
But only the UNSC fleet is as big as the Big 4's. I think there's room
enough
for another fleet, maybe 2. But only if there are some minis
forthcoming,
otherwise there's no point. Leave them for FB4.

> >d) Rules: What rules do we need: MT missiles, for sure. Anything
> >else?

> Sensors

Yes. I like simple. ECM and ECCM should be here too.

> and boarding combat

Yes - maybe use the SuVasku Leech mechanics,

> and cleared-up fighter rules (currently
> they're spread out over all five books...).

Yes. No need for any changes, just a consolidation.

Things we can leave till FT3?

Campaigns
Ground Interface
Terrain
Debris
Striking colours (suggest a check every turn at last hull box and get
damaged -
score must equal the number of hull boxes left, but a 6 always fails)
Painting guide
Sources of Minis.

OK, next question:

Assuming we have FB3 consisting of
USNC
IC
OU
FSC

Who's gonna do what? Rather than decide by having a vote, asking the
estimable
Jon etc, I suggest that anyone who wants to can have a crack. The rules
are
as follows:
a) You must write some PHB (Pseudo-Historical as opposed to
Pseudo-Scientific) about
the navy in question, much as in FB1.
b) You must write the stats of ALL of the ships in the navy you choose,
all
those specified in
http://www.gtns.net/gzg/contents.html. Not just stats, but some PHB
similar
FB1. Use a Spreadsheet or automated tool for generation, to avoid
errors.

What to do from there? Zip it all up and put it in a vault somewhere for
others to review?

Prev: Re: Happy Birthday To Oz (was HAPPY NEW YEAR!) Next: Re: [FT] OU & IC & FB3