Prev: Re: [SG2] EW Unit Next: A quick question on Brigade Materials

Re: [SG2] EW Unit

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:34:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] EW Unit

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:49:48 +1300, "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>Logically, if a EW unit is on and ready to interfere with
communications, it
>could be located immediately by an enemy using Direction Finders and
>targetted with artillery, without requiring a soldier on the ground to
>eyeball the target. Presumably a EW unit that is in passive mode
("switched
>off") could be used to locate a EW unit that is active ("switched on").

That's not what the rules state, but a number of us suggested that an
active
EW unit could be spotted more easily. The question is how do you do
this?

I'm assuming the passive unit would use up an action. What would the
mechanic
be for spotting? I would suggest using the same mechanic for an active
EW unit
spotting any hidden unit, except it doesn't use an EW chit (obviously,
it's
passive). In other words, it's the quality die of the passive EW unit
against
a die for the active EW unit. The active EW unit's die is as mentioned
on page
52 under "remote spotting of Inverted Counters".

This is a good house rule, actually.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

From - Wed Jan 03 11:05:19 2001
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: help please  (Dirtside).. I found it..
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:44:41 -0800
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

I said:
> > Don't have my rules here and I'm not a DS2 guru but I think you'll
find
> that it's easier to spot, therefore hit, a vehicle with its ADS
firecon lit up.

Bob replied:
> Thanks for the response Chris but its not that.. There are no
location rules
> in DSII.. I have just hunted through the rules and found the
answer.. ADS
> units with active sensors cannot fire at ground targets .. I do
however
> smell a wild weasel houserule coming on..heheheh

Well, that turns out not to be the case.  Page 19, right col, about
2/3 down the page, says that an active ADS has no effective ECM, no
stealth, and its (basic) signature is increased by one.

(I didn't see that "cannot fire at ground targets" bit (not that I
looked very hard).  Pg 31 says you can't fire at targets *other than*
ground targets without your ADS lit.)

Prev: Re: [SG2] EW Unit Next: A quick question on Brigade Materials