Prev: Re: Starfire, was Re: More weapon concept questions Next: WebSite reorg, additions

Deans site... Jon (GZG)

From: "chubbybob" <bob@r...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:43:11 +0100
Subject: Deans site... Jon (GZG)

Jon
      I had the same problem earlier but as of 24:00 GMT its working
fine..

	      Bob

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:58:36 +1100
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
Subject: Re: New Wargame Website (chance to be a critic)
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

  G'day,

 >This was based around the concept of
 >age. The aliens are born as tanks, APC etc.
 >So you could say that a tank with a
 >basic fire control simply means it's a baby
 >and has not yet developed the skills
 >or awareness to use opportunity fire.

Do you have children? That's all my kids ever seem to do ;)

 >Again I can see this would be possible.
 >I suppose at the point where I was thinking about
 >ECM's I was eager to provide a keen
 >difference between conventional forces and the aliens.

I agree that that's a good thing, but there's a multitude of ways for
doing
that without giving them a potentially gapping hole in the side ;)
If it doesn't turn out to be a death knell weakness then leave it, but
don't chop off your options if it falls short.

 >Very low profile for the blob :)

;)

 >I should add a rule where it cannot be
 >done if in direct line of sight of the enemy.
 >But then if your mobility is shot you may not have the choice.

I like Allan's reaction test idea for this one.

 >I sort of invisaged the Gatherer reducing
 >the vehicle down to the biological matter.
 >But maybe this is wrong. I should decide
 >whether it simply drags the damaged unit away
 >or obsorbs it.

If it absorbs it then you need to build in a time penalty for what could
be
a slow process... at least a turn or two.

 >Harsh Beth. I thought my penalty was bad enough :)

If she's that important you've got to reflect it, though I too like the
idea of having a hierarchy of queens (so to speak), this could fix your
problem.

 >Hmmm I could have a dedicated water
 >movement type. Sort of loch ness monster
 >spitting plasma! (I like it)

So will my son Lachy when I tell him about it at dinner tonight ;)

 >This is the trouble with trying to
 >do rules for biological constructs.
 >Maybe I need different categories of legs.

Possibly or just go with something like
Legs: Easy = Roads, Open,
Normal = Urban, Hills, Light Scrub
Poor = all Woods, Cultivated, Rough,
Difficult = Rivers/Streams (crossing only), Mountains, Swamp,
Impassable = Open Water

 >Play testing has mainly been alien systems or
 >one or two units vs conventiaon DS2 stuff.
 >Not had many pitched battles using the range of alien stuff.

I can't promise anything, but odds on Lachy will be after a game this
week
so if you're lucky... ;)

 >Yeah but I was worried that they would
 >then be too much like convertional forces.
 >This is the trouble with making alien rules.
 >I didn't want to just have a renaming
 >exercise for existing systems, sometimes
 >to have to be illogical to make it well
 >alien.

Its just my opinion, but I've always felt you shouldn't get to hung up
about the details of the weapons etc when it comes to aliens (though
I'll
admit its fun to think up way out gizmos), its the psychology of the
thing
that will make all the difference. With this in mind do you intend to
change the psychology of these guys at all? One of the main reasons most

aliens have an all controlling queen telepathically directing her
minions
is probably because its one of the most foreign things we can imagine
(and
because many aliens are based on insects). But there's a range of
alternatives... they could be anything from fearless to extremely timid,

individual thinkers to a hierachical or collective mindset, they could
have
a "society" built on anything from altruism to individual gain, they
could
have an inherited to purchased position in the social ranks, they could
be
isolationist through to completely all consuming. Any mix of these can
give
you quite different feelings and when built into the morale (and even
the
activation) scheme used in SG/DS you can get some REALLY cool aliens!
Just
a thought.

 >Thanks for your comments Beth.

Glad to help.

Have a Merry Christmas

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:22 2000
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
From: devans@uneb.edu
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:15:46 -0600
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

***
 >basic fire control simply means it's a baby
 >and has not yet developed the skills
 >or awareness to use opportunity fire.

Do you have children? That's all my kids ever seem to do ;)
***

However, if your kids were born with machine guns, locked-and-loaded,
and
the ability to fire accurately, if not selectively, you'd find a
tendency
to wait for orders a survival benefit for the race as a whole.

The_Beast (who can add PSB, but no REALLY useful ideas)

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler
From - Fri Dec 22 22:00:22 2000
From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@tesco.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: RE-Ship types names