Prev: Re: Paces as a unit of measure Next: Re: [DS2] Engineering vehicles

Re: Paces as a unit of measure

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (Ranitzsch, Karl Heinz)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 20:11:44 +0100
Subject: Re: Paces as a unit of measure

----- Original Message -----
> The point I was getting at was that "paces" instead of "inches" or
even
> "centimeters" is an odd measurement for a wargame.

To calculate wargames distances in 'real-life' units (paces or, for
modern/naval/SF games meters/yards/kilometers/miles/light-seconds)
rather
than 'on-table' units (cm or inches) has some advantages. It makes the
rules
independent of the miniature scale used. The WRG Ancients rule set can
be
used officially with anything from 25 mm down to 2 mm, without having to
constantly refer to the figure scale or making up multiple tables for
describing moves and distance effects, and it would be no problem to
convert
them to other scales.

I play them with home-made rulers graduated in 'real-life' distances and
have quickly become used to it. In fact, I prefer it, as I feel it is
more
in keeping with a believable experience. But I know a lot of people who
don't do that step and think cm/inches even in DBM

> <troll>What it really boils down to is I personally don't like DB
Anything.
> Essentially, any excuse to mock or snicker at the rule systems is
sufficient
> for me :P.</troll>

Oh well...

> Happy gaming
> Jay

Thanks
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Paces as a unit of measure Next: Re: [DS2] Engineering vehicles