Prev: Re: [DS2] GMS/P and LPGs Next: RE: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

RE: (FT)-Defsats, and some other rambles

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 15:45:46 +1100
Subject: RE: (FT)-Defsats, and some other rambles

I usually allocate a minimum of MD 0.5 for station keeping drives for
the
rotational capacity.  In order to free up trained spacers, I sometime
allocate them as civilian crew levels.	Can't fix anything that breaks,
but
they're an expendable asset anyway.

If you wanted to be nasty in a campaign game, you give your defsats a
3-arc
class-3, firecon and nothing else but hull & armour.  Really
inefficient,
but will tie up the enemy fleet for a long time...

Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[Pirates] Dame Captain Washalot
[MKW2] Admiral Peter Rollins - Task Force Zulu-Beta
[Firestorm] Battletech PBeM GM

For
> building them, I would use the rules for installations on p 27.
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:27 2000
From: "Chuck Parrott" <chuckparrott@earthlink.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [DS2] Fire restriction
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:46:13 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

I came upon this in my first DS2 game recently, and the mates I played
with
ignored the fire restrictions.	We had a situation of a MBT rolling
through
an infantry position attempting to run down 2 elements, firing the APSW
at a
third element, and firing a MDC at an APC approx. 600 meters away.  On
reflection, this seemed a bit over the top to me but I may be biased
seeing
as how my sides infantry/APC was on the receiving end.	It's been my
impression that tank warfare at this level is certainly chaotic, and
generally not quite as free wheeling as many gamers would like to
believe.
>From talking with officers and crew actively serving in armor units
around
the world, I come away with the feeling that if you can engage 2 or 3
targets in about a 30 second time frame, you are doing most wonderfully.

But on the other hand, if you are looking at doing a HS universe
setting,
the novels do talk about things like combat AI and other techie goodies
that
take a lot of the load off of a crew, so a really advanced tank would be
able to identify, track, and engage multiple hostiles in it's vincinity.
 In
the end I guess it's all up to how you want the game to portray the
setting
you are using.

Maybe adding additional cost to units for different levels of
multi-targeting would play well and balance out nicely.

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 23:49:46 -0500
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
From: Brian Bell <bkb@beol.net>
Subject: Re: [DS2] GMS/P and LPGs
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

At 2000.12.03 -0500 21:50, you wrote:
>GMS/P
>=================
>
>Someone wrote some GMS/P rules for DS2 and I haven't seen them in my
>searches through the web pages.
>
>I assume it would use a guidance die reflecting its firecontrol (basic,
enh,
>superior) and it would have a max range of ??? (guess at 1200-2000m but
what
>is the max-range for Javelin or other GMS/P of today?). I assume it
would
>draw the same type of chit validity as GMS/L and GMS/H, but probably
only 1
>of them.
>
>And I have no clue what a system like this should cost in the hands of
a two
>man team. Less than a farther ranged, harder hitting GMS/L for sure.
Oerjan
>the number-wise? Other math crunchies?
>
>LPG
>================
>Any ideas on handling weapons like the 76mm and 90mm Low Pressure Guns
or
>the 165mm demolition gun? I was trying to design a cougar and a
scorpion and
>just didn't have the right weapon to mount.... someone must have
thought
>about this (or have thoughts). Oerjan? Others?
>

>Tom.

>Thomas R. S. Barclay
>[snip]

I had posted some to the list earlier this year. They are
at http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/techlib/phw.asp

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
ICQ: 12848051
AIM: Rlyehable
The Full Thrust Ship Registry:
http://www.ftsr.org
---
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:29 2000
From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:16:48 +0100
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Tony Christney wrote:

>>>girls' ages 12 going on 21
>>
>>?? It's not polite to inquire about a girl's age... so I won't <g>
>
>Not entirely correct. It is not polite to ask about a woman's age,
>you dirty old man <g>.

If she's "going on 21", she's rapidly approaching the age where she
technically is a "woman" but will take offence if you call her that
since it suggests that she's getting old... thus "girl" <g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:31 2000
Date: 04 Dec 2000 08:54 GMT
From: KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
Subject: Re: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

>Absender: nyrath@clark.net
> "Robert W. Hofrichter" wrote:
> > Not necessarily.  The "Thor" idea is pretty good--a whole bunch of
> > really cheap very-low orbit satellites that consist of basically
> > masses of finned long-rod penetrators (with heat shields and basic
> > terminal guidance).

>	They do require a bit of high tech though.
>	I've heard arguments against the effectiveness of Thor.
>	One problem is that as they re-enter, they will become encased
>	in plasma sheaths so dense that they will neither be able to
>	see their target, nor will they be able to hear any remote
>	guidance radio signal.

The plasma is only there until the rods have been braked by the
athmosphere from orbital velocity down to several times the speed of
sound
(Don't know the exact value). Like re-entrant space capsules, they will
again have communication/sensor capability after that.

Greetings
Karl Heinz
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:26 2000
From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@hotmail.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 04:17:05
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

These systems hit me as being a 'poor man's' space defense system,
because
they would be totally outclassed by mobile space/star ships- you know,
dropped into orbit to protect something worth protecting, but not really

worth keeping an actual battlegroup on station... or even used in
conjunction with more mobile defense systems- say like fixed ground
positions agumented by mobile forces (the concept being similar to the
German Westwall or Atlantic Wall of WWII).

In Full Thrust, I would deploy them close to a planet (calling it an
orbit)
and would purchase them as being immoble space craft... why immobile?
Because their orbit speed would be way slower than that of mobile craft.
At
best, I would let them 'turn' to present other aspects (weapons)... For
building them, I would use the rules for installations on p 27.

How useful would they be? Who knows, but hey... they are probably better

than nothing :)
_______
______
Get more from the Web.	FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:31 2000
From: "Jones, Tim" <tjones@adaptivebroadband.com>
To: "'gzg-l@scotch.csua.berkeley.edu'" <gzg-l@scotch.csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [FT] Can't access FT Computer Core
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:44:18 -0000
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

>However, without JavaScript enabled, I
>can't click on the e-mail button under Feedback.

A snappy version of the URL is:

http://www.geocities.com/fullthrustweb/

for the Core
and

http://www.geocities.com/fullthrustweb/faq-index.html

for the FAQ

There is no email 'button', the gif that should be displayed is AWOL
and has been replaced. That should fix the access problems

What you were seeing was a missing picture graphic displayed by the
browser
not an email button.

This site is javascript enabled to support yahoos annoying banner ads
and has been working OK for months AFAIK with javascript on. I am
looking
at it now with IE5 and all seems working also ok with NS6.

If yahoo have changed their banner ad code then that might cause
problems
but as the virgin page is plain text ( I add no jscript myself) I think
it
should
work with or without javascript.

Thankyou for reporting these issues its only be your feedback that
things get fixed.

--
Tim
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:31 2000
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 10:13:32 +0000
From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@kuju.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [FT] Can't access FT Computer Core
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

"Jones, Tim" wrote:

> >However, without JavaScript enabled, I
> >can't click on the e-mail button under Feedback.
>
> A snappy version of the URL is:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/fullthrustweb/

This gives the following error

"The web page you are trying to access doesn't exist on Yahoo!
GeoCities.
http://www.geocities.com/fullthrustweb/STYLE.CSS"

using Netscape 4.7

> for the Core
> and
>
> http://www.geocities.com/fullthrustweb/faq-index.html

This works fine.

I've just checked my preferences and I have Java, Javascript and style
sheets enabled.

I tried downloading some of the CG models from Thrust Pack at the end of
last week and just got a bunch of 'file has expired' messages - any
chance of these being restored ?

Tony
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:32 2000
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 10:16:57 +0000
From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@kuju.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Brian Bell wrote:

> I had posted some to the list earlier this year. They are
> at http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/techlib/phw.asp

This comes out in almost unreadable black-on-dark-blue, which is a shame
'cos it looks interesting (I just can't afford to risk my eyesight) !

Tony
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:32 2000
From: "Morgan Vening" <morgan@optushome.com.au>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:04:13 +1100
Subject: Unofficial Official Lists?
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

I'm looking for fairly comprehensive, and fairly navigatable and
printable (the FT Ship Registry wasn't) copies of quasi official fleet
listings for the following fleets. - Islamic Federation, Oceanic Union,
UNSC.

A friend is getting into FT tomorrow(first purchase), and is
interested in playing a fleet noone else at the club has (all are
currently covered). He is willing to make up his own stats, but
well... lets just say I'd rather he didn't. He has a propensity for
minmaxing, and well, I don't want to have to argue with him.

Morgan Vening
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:33 2000
From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil>
To: "'Tony Francis'" <tony.francis@kuju.com>
Cc: "Gzg-L (E-mail)" <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 06:41:26 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Hmmm. That's strange.

If you could let me know what browser you are using (off-list), I will
try
to track
down the problem. I did check the page with IE 5.0, NN 4.7, and Kmeleon
2.1.

Anyway, here is the info:

Portable Heavy Weapons (xxx/P and PHW) Teams
Treated as a Class-1 weapon except:

Use infantry unit quality in place of the FCS/Guidance:
Green: Close: d6 Medium: d4
Regular: Basic
Veteran: Enhanced
Elite: Superior

RFAC/Ps, MDC/Ps, and DFFG/Ps have a maximum range of Medium.
HEL/Ps and GSM/Ps have a maximum range of 16" (since there is only 1
range
band).
HVCs, HKPs, and SLAMs do not have a portable variant (minimum size is
3).
PHWs are good for a limited number of shots in DS2. The power packs used
power the weapons run out in the case of HEL/P and MDC/P. The element
can
only carry a limited number of reloads for RFAC/P, DFFG/P, and GSM/P.
Borrowing from SG2, I suggest providing counters to indicate each of the
PHW
rounds.
Non-powered Infantry units may carry upto 2 PHW rounds.
PowerArmor Infantry units may carry upto 3 PHW rounds.
The element that carries these are treated as an Anti-Armor Infantry
Team
until the PHW rounds are used up. Infantry Rifle Teams (or standard
Power
Armor for the Power Armor Teams). The PHWs are assumed to be disposable.
PHW Team may volunteraly discard PHW rounds in order to conduct Infantry
Ranged Combat. However, PHW rounds are not recoverable if discarded.
Cost is the cost of an Infantry Rifle Team (Power Armor Team in case of
Power Armor) PLUS 1/2 (round up) the cost of a fixed mount Class-1
weapon
per PHW round.
Weapon		 Close		Medium		Long
HEL/P		   16"		   -		  -
RFAC/P		    8"		  12"		  -
MDC/P (GAC/P)	    8"		  16"		  -
DFFG/P		    4"		   8"		  -
GSM/P		   16"		   -		  -

Infantry Heavy Weapons Teams (IHWT)
This is an extention of the Anti-Armor Team listed on p.13 of DS2. They
conform to this listing in all ways, but vary may carry any Class-1
weapon.
These are crew-served weapons. These teams carry only small arms for
self
defense in addition to the heavy weapon.

Differences from PHW Teams:

Uses Basic FCS for HEL, RFAC, MDC and DFFG
GSMs purchase the appropriate Guidance System.
Use normal Class-1 weapon ranges.
Does NOT use expendable ammo counters (may fire each round).
Treated as Anti-Armor Team as listed on p. 13 of DS2
Cost is for Infantry Rifle Team (or Power Armor Team) PLUS the cost of a
fixed mounted Class-1 weapon.
Valid heavy weapons for IHWTs are: HEL/1, RFAC/1, MDC/1, DFFG/1, and
GSM/L
PHWs are good for a limited number of shots in DS2. The power packs used
power the weapons run out in the case of HEL/P and MDC/P. The element
can
only carry a limited number of reloads for RFAC/P, DFFG/P, and GSM/P.
Borrowing from SG2, I suggest providing counters to indicate each of the
PHW
rounds.

Non-powered Infantry elements may carry upto 2 PHW rounds.
PowerArmor Infantry elements may carry upto 3 PHW rounds.
The element that carries these are treated as an Anti-Armor Infantry
Team
until the PHW rounds are used up. One the rounds are used up the team
reverts to an Infantry Rifle Team (or standard Power Armor for the Power
Armor Teams). The PHWs are assumed to be disposable. A PHW Team may
volunteraly discard PHW rounds in order to conduct Infantry Ranged
Combat.
However, PHW rounds are not recoverable if discarded.
Cost is the cost of an Infantry Rifle Team (Power Armor Team in case of
Power Armor) PLUS 1/2 (round up) the cost of a fixed mount Class-1
weapon
per PHW round.
Example 1: a Power Armor Team with a MDC/P and 3 rounds of ammo would
cost
55 (40 + ((10 / 2) * 3)).
Example 2: a Rifle Team with a MDC/P and 2 rounds of ammo would cost 30
(20
+ ((10/2) * 2)).
Weapon	    Range Chits vs. Armor & Validity Chits vs. Infantry &
Validity
HEL/P	     16"      1 Red			  3 Yellow
RFAC/P	      8"      1 Red & Yellow		  3 Yellow
MDC/P (GAC/P) 8"      1 All			  3 Yellow
DFFG/P	      4"      1 All (x2)		  3 Red (x2)
GSM/P	     16"      1 Red & Yellow		  3 Yellow

Analyses:
PHWs are not as effective against armor as IVARs, but have a greater
range.
Teams with PHWs are more flexible than IHWT (see below), but have less
range.

 Infantry Heavy Weapons Teams (IHWT)
This is an extention of the Anti-Armor Team listed on p.13 of DS2. They
conform to this listing in all ways, but vary may carry any Class-1
weapon.
These are crew-served weapons. These teams carry only small arms for
self
defense in addition to the heavy weapon.
Differences from PHW Teams:

Uses Basic FCS for HEL, RFAC, MDC and DFFG
GSMs purchase the appropriate Guidance System.
Use normal Class-1 weapon ranges.
Does NOT use expendable ammo counters (may fire each round).
Treated as Anti-Armor Team as listed on p. 13 of DS2
Cost is for Infantry Rifle Team (or Power Armor Team) PLUS the cost of a
fixed mounted Class-1 weapon.
Valid heavy weapons for IHWTs are:
  HEL/1, RFAC/1, MDC/1, DFFG/1, and GSM/L

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org
-----

From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:34 2000
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
From: Glenn m wilson <triphibious@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 07:00:19 EST
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

True, this is a simplification, especially in light of the turn scale
(15
minutes, IIRC) but this is the kind of thing best fixed by a house
rules.

This is a secondary to a question about mixed turrets I asked before;
Jon suggested a house rule might be that I could fire a DFFG-5/HEL-1 at
the same target (using each weapon's range bands and etc. separately and
rolling one die for each weapon at the same target - I love mixed
turrets.  But then I love low/mid tech forces with HKP's too.)	This was
NOT an 'official ruling.'

I suggest that:

1) A mixed turret may fire at two targets in the same 180 (or 90 local
choice) degree arc (AFV and Infantry only) with the following reductions
- drop one die level for the AFV target, drop a second die level for
each
step below Superior for the turret FCS, drop one die level if targets
are
greater then 90 [or 60 or 45 local choice] degree arc.)

This to simulate degradation of the FCS solution for multiple targets.

2) A unit may fire freely at the infantry with the "free" APSW of the
vehicle but to use the Main turret at the AFV only [or if desired to try
a 'second' fire at the infantry with the turret secondary use an opposed
roll with the infantry getting a D4 for militia/PA, a D6 for line and if
the infantry wins the shot is a 'miss.'

As for multiple turrets/gunners I would require a seperate FCS for each
turret unless pintle mounted and then I would use a variant of the
suggestions above.

For additional Pintle mounted, 'open irons sights' such as I believe you
are talking about in Hammer Slammer example - I would suggest a D6/D4/D4
(assumes center gunner is 'more experienced' ) for the weapons versus
vehicles and regular fire rules for anti-infantry.  These are, IMO, in
these rules treated as non-FCS weapons.

Gracias, Triphibious/Glenn (first war game played 1959)
Triphibious Marines = Nektons.
Not all Frogs are French, or even Human!
Nektons, be all the Marine you can be!
Resistance is EVERYTHING! [And MANDATORY!]

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:35 2000
From: "chubbybob" <bob@retemail.es>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [DS2] Fire restriction.. multiple weapons
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:20:22 +0100
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

AHHHhhh!!!! the joys of reading through the archives..	having lots of
time
and the pleasure of exploring a new (to me) field, I have been working
my
way through the archives.. lots of this has been covered before and good
answers suggested. so heres histories and my take on the multitarget
idea..

Glen Wilson said
> 1) A mixed turret may fire at two targets in the same 180 (or 90 local
> choice) degree arc (AFV and Infantry only) with the following
reductions
> - drop one die level for the AFV target, drop a second die level for
each
> step below Superior for the turret FCS, drop one die level if targets
are
> greater then 90 [or 60 or 45 local choice] degree arc.)

I suggest a multi weaponed turret should allowed to fire at multiple
targets
but degrading the die roll a die level on EACH target change,
****************************
> 2) A unit may fire freely at the infantry with the "free" APSW of the
> vehicle but to use the Main turret at the AFV only [or if desired to
try
> a 'second' fire at the infantry with the turret secondary use an
opposed
> roll with the infantry getting a D4 for militia/PA, a D6 for line and
if
> the infantry wins the shot is a 'miss.'

Mike Elliot actually ruled on this in '97 saying the APSW can fire at a
different target without
penalty

********************************

> As for multiple turrets/gunners I would require a seperate FCS for
each
> turret unless pintle mounted and then I would use a variant of the
> suggestions above.

Again this was the solution in the distant past but providing separate
FCS
were paid for then no penalties for separate targets.

Hope this helps
     Bob DeAngelis
From - Mon Dec 04 11:30:34 2000
From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil>
To: "'gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu'" <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:22:19 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

[Bri] It would seem to change the balance of the game. Those with mixed
multiple mounts would have a great advantage over those who did not.
It allows more optimization of weapons mix. Currently, a designer must
decide the weapon they want by comparing the Range, Size, Validity,
and Anti-Infantry Capability. Allowing mixed multi-mount turrets allows
one to mount weapons that off-set the deficiencies of the other. Only
larger vehicles would be able to take advantage of this. And thus, I
believe that it would effect the game balance.
If you and your group agree, ignore the limitation. :-)
You may want to try some house rules:
1) Allow multiple weapons fire equal to the number of Fire Control
Systems installed.
2) If multiple turrets are paid for (i.e. 3x cost for weapon in turret),
multiple
targets may be engaged.
3) Combination of 1 & 2.
4) Allow multiple weapons to target the same target, but shift the
Fire control Quality Down 1 for each additional weapon type/size.
5) Combination of 2 & 4.

[snip]
>  Can I only engage one of these with one
> gun? What about my wing gunners if the commander is assumed to be
engaging
> the front target? Are they snoozing?

[Bri] What wing gunners? You mean you waste space and training by
placing
multiple men into a single AFV?!?! What a waste of good training! <big
smile>
Seriously, with the advent of Power Armor and Walkers, I would see a
push
to lower the crew number in AFVs. I think that at most there would be a
driver and a weapons specialist. At minimum a single crewman and an
AI (or if you want bloodless, just an AI).
As in my comments above, I think that it could be fair to allow multiple
targets to be engaged if you pay for a separate turret and fire control
for
each attack.

[snip]

> Tomb

[snip]

> Thomas R. S. Barclay
[snip]
> -----End Original Message---

My comments above marked by [Bri]

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/ds2/
-----

Prev: Re: [DS2] GMS/P and LPGs Next: RE: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!