Prev: Re: 15mm fig scans, includes Frei Korp, citadel Trav Next: Re: [FT] Defsats!

Zombie Messages

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:59:37 -0500
Subject: Zombie Messages

Actually, I am not sure why this came up now.  I had originally sent
that
message WEEKS ago.  There must have been something weird about the
SENDMAIL
account on the machine this list is hosted on and it just got flushed
from
the cache.

Anyway, after I sent that message I realized that the real solution was
not
just vector adding but also much better sensor rules.  Right now all
ships
in the game are visible, 100%.	Adding sensor and target solution rules
will
balance this out.  Also, missiles should be spoofable just as they are
in
real life.

--Peter

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@msn.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re:
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 15:01:23 -0500
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

So did Clash of Arms in their newsletter Art of War.  I have the extra
counters but I do not have the games required and I think they are out
of
print.

--Peter

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:09:06 -0500
From: Richard Bell <rlbell@sympatico.ca>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [FT] Modular warships
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Richard Bell write;
>
> >> [Bri] Makes sense, but you assume you start the design with
> >> large weapons first. What if you start with a design of 18 class-1s
> >>and want replace them with a all-arc Class-4 beam?
> >
> >This is disallowed by most engineering conventions
>
> You have, or at least *can* have, just the same problem when going in
> the other direction (ie. from large to small weapons).
>
> Imagine that you want to replace the spinal gun of a Renegade Legion:
> Leviathan-style battleship. In Full Thrust this is a big K-gun; I'd
> rate it as a K5 or larger. The hull of the ship is literally built
> around this weapon; the only part of the weapon which reaches the
> surface of the hull is the muzzle - and that's no bigger than a single
> B1.

The largest ship described in any of the FT fleet books only has a mass
that is about 300 times the mass of a fighter.	The smallest class of
ship
described in Leviathan (a destroyer) is over a thousand times larger
than
a fighter.  If we accept the quas-official backgound of one mass unit is
100 tonnes, the class A spinal mount from Leviathan has the same mass as
K-800.	BTW the mass of fighters in the two game systems are
approximately
the same for light fighters, but heavy fighters in Leviathan can be up
a little over two full FT mass units.  The Leviathan design rules are
also
hopelessly broken as the cost effectiveness of 101,000 energy point
battleships will sweep the quadrant in an equal money battle.

> If you replace the rest of the spinal gun with B1s, you need to turn
> your ship inside-out in order for them to fire (unless you *want* them
> to blast holes in your own hull, of course!). I respectfully submit
> that turning a ship inside-out is a bigger change of "socket paradigm"
> than the AVRO Arrow engine one.

If the spinal mount is sleeved for easy maintenance (undo the power,
control and hold-down couplings and slide out the entire assembly for
repairs and easy access[this makes a lot of sense for repairs in
zero-g]),
and beam weapons use either sub X-ray lasers or charged particle beams,
than the beam weapons line the empty tube facing towards the axis and
the
focussing elements redirect the beam along the tube's long axis.  The
resultant field of fire is very limited, but does not require that the
ship be turned inside out.  Hence my suggestion that the ganged
class-1's
or 2's are limited to the arc of the original larger weapon.

For unit design rules, there is an entire spectrum of detail.  At the
high
end is GDW's "Fire, Fusion, and Steel" where systems have mass, volume,
shape, and power requirements, and the shape of a starship affects it
surface area, and more surface means more area for weapon mounts, and
more
material needed for a given hull strength.  Cost is a secondary
consideration to making it all fit.  At the low end of detail are the
original Warhammer 40K vehicle rules, where the only consideration is
cost.  Full Thrust is below the middle, which is why there is a problem
with adding fiddly details like modules and sockets.  It is the kind of
detail that everybody wants in a campaign setting, but the rules were
not
strongly conceived for campaigning.

Prev: Re: 15mm fig scans, includes Frei Korp, citadel Trav Next: Re: [FT] Defsats!