Prev: Re: Building 'unusual' starships Next: Re: Winter War 28

RE: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: "Scott Case" <tgunner@h...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:26:58
Subject: RE: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

>Is that formula correct? Using it, the average turret height of a AFV
>would be 5.5m (6378000m earth radius, * 5.5m, sqrt = 5923 close
>to 60" or 6km).
>I did not think that AFVs were that tall (that's almost a 2 story
building)

5.5m tall? I'm not the most metric guy around (hey, I'm an American),
but
that isn't too far off. My M-1A1 from the old army days was a pretty
tall
machine (despite the low profile it presents). I could stand next to the

track and only my head and chest (or shoulders- memory kinda fades with
age
;) were above the track.... and I am 6'1" tall... a meter and some
change in
the metric system. The turrent was easily another 5 or so feet taller
than
me... and you can add another foot to that because of the TC's position.
believe that is pretty close to 4 or 5 meters, so that guess shouldn't
too
far off.

And before you say it, the Bradley IFV was almost as tall as the
Abrams...

_______
______
Get more from the Web.	FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com

Prev: Re: Building 'unusual' starships Next: Re: Winter War 28