Prev: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat Next: Re: [HIST] classical matchups

Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:56:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

Indy wrote:

>>Increase the Close and Medium range bands somewhat due to >>reduced
gravity and air resistance, but wouldn't the maximum >>possible ranges
get *shorter* since the horizon is closer? (Mars's >>radius is just
over half that of Earth.)

>Without doing the math I don't recall that it would be *that*
noticeable,
>at least on an SGII or DSII scale (then again, I guess that depends on
>your DSII scale ;-)

In the usual scale (1" = 100 meters), 60" is essentially the distance
to the horizon from the turret of an MBT standing on a flat plain on
Earth. (DSII doesn't give any range bonus if the MBT is standing on the
only hill on that plain though <g>) Double the curvature of the
surface, and you should get a quite noticable decrease in max range (at
least for line-of-sight weapons).

It wouldn't matter much in SGII, that's true <g>

>>Sandy areas on Earth tend to create dust clouds if crossed by any
>>vehicle which isn't grav or high-flying VTOL/aerospace... the rules
>>don't take that into account much though :-/
>
>Maybe because the time scale for the sand/dust cloud to be around is
>less than what a single DSII turn is? (I don't have my DSII rules with
>me, so I'm just popping this off the top of my head :-)

Hopefully yes, but it depends a bit on how many vehicles you have :-/
It'd take longer to settle in lower-gravity environments, certainly.

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat Next: Re: [HIST] classical matchups