Prev: RE: [FT] Modular warships Next: Re: DSII Vehicle creation page

Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:13:09 +0100
Subject: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

KH Ranitzsch wrote:

>I don't remember the value of the gravitation on Mars, but I wouldn't
>call it zero or low g. So I wouldn't change the rules much.

Our on-list astronomers should be able to give a better value, but
assuming that Mars is homogenous - which I believe is rather inaccurate
- the gravitic acceleration on the Mars surface is just under 0.4g. Not
zero g, but certainly lots less than we have here.

>If you are thinking about an un-terraformed Mars, the thin
>athmosphere would be the main difference to an Earth-type planet.
>Some suggestions:
> - use only power-armoured infantry
> - if you use 'normal' infantry treat them as being under gas attack
> - reduce aircraft capabilities (less payload, higher vulnerability or

> cost), ditto for hovercraft.
> - Increase DFFG range due to thinner athmosphere
> - Increase HVC/MDC range due to lower gravity

Increase the Close and Medium range bands somewhat due to reduced
gravity and air resistance, but wouldn't the maximum possible ranges
get *shorter* since the horizon is closer? (Mars's radius is just over
half that of Earth.)

> - Better terrain performance for grav-vehicles due to lower gravity

...unless of course the grav effect is a repellant force like the one
between two equal-sign electric charges, in which case grav vehicles
get the same terrain performance (reduced lift exactly cancels reduced
*need* for lift) but risk having their forward velocity reduced
(reduced air resistance doesn't offset reduced propulsive force).

> - Appropriate terrain - no water features or vegetation
> - sandy areas create dust cloud (treat as smoke screen) if crossed
>by hovercraft

Sandy areas on Earth tend to create dust clouds if crossed by any
vehicle which isn't grav or high-flying VTOL/aerospace... the rules
don't take that into account much though :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: [FT] Modular warships Next: Re: DSII Vehicle creation page