Prev: Re: new lister ... presents his credentials and says hi.. Next: Re: new lister ... presents his credentials and says hi..

Re: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse

From: "Nathan" <Nathan_at_Spring_Grove_UK@e...>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:23:37 -0000
Subject: Re: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse

From: Barclay, Tom <tomb@bitheads.com>
Date: Thursday, November 23, 2000 10:15
Subject: [HIST] conflicts in the GZGverse

> What would people define as being classic matchups?

I've verified my reply against FT, MT & DS, but I believe that some
of my data is from SG background materials I've seen replicated
on the web. If I've cited anything non-canon as an unqualified fact,
please pick me up on it.

> I'll take my guess at it, but I'm interested to have other peoples
> opinions:
>
> OUDF
> Allies/Friendly: NAC, FCT, NSL, Swiss, NI
> Enemies: ESU, IC

Deduction: The ESU was the main sponsor of the IC and the LLAR
because the other minor powers launched starfaring craft before the
ESU did (in 2072). The OU has common cause with JP (Japan) re
the containment of the IC on Earth.

Speculation: Pre-OU units may have helped JP defend the Gilderstein
Foundation in 2050. The OU took advantage of the Mercenary War
(2128 - 2132) to reduce IC mercenary units in small-scale actions
whenever the opportunity presented itself. The OU may have friendly
relations with the LLAR as a result.

Observation: The Swiss mercenaries employed by the LLAR to raid
the IC's Manilla depot in 2129 ended up killing a lot of Japanese.
(This is one of the early 22nd-century incidents I've bookmarked as
driving the formation of the UNSC.)

The status of the Japanese seems to be very much up in the air. They
appear to have started out as NAC clients, but that's reading a lot into
the name of the NAC Nagisa system lost to the ESU in 2177. Will
we possibly see Turtle Boat-style ship models one day in the future...?

Question: Is there any canonical evidence beyond enemy-of-my-enemy
to involve the FCT or the NSL?

> NAC
> Allies/Friendly: FCT, NSL, OUDF, NI, Swiss, RH
> Enemies: ESU, FSE, PAU, LLAR

I find the FCT secession very hard to understand. We know very little
about the circumstances other than that the NAC opposed the 2159
declaration then launched some token strikes before accepting it.

Observation: Steve ventures the theory that the FCT is more latino
than redneck, but if this is the case there must be some powerful
motive dividing them from the LLAR. The NAC chose not to crush
the uprising (unlike the FSE's reaction to the proto-NFR revolt in 2133)
and could easily conquer New Pasadena if it were necessary.
Allowing the LLAR back to Earth to incite the entire Americas to revolt
would create just such a necessity.

The FCT fought alongside the NAC at Reinhold in 2187, but this was
against the Kra'vak. By then even the ESU and the NAC had joined
forces to battle the alien menace.

> I list the RH amongst the allies due to a monarchic leaning.

I have the RH down as firm NSL clients after the EC created the RH
by objecting to further westward expansion by the Chinese in 2047.
The RH were attacked by the ESU in both the Second (2145-2157)
and Third (2165-2185) Solar Wars, whereupon the NSL and the NAC
joined in to contain the ESU.

> I list the PAU as opposed principally on the strength of the fact they
> sometimes work with the FSE.

The PAU lost Grand Lahou to the NAC's Operation Dryland in 2148. They
attempted to retake it in 2150 and again in 2154. Against that, we have
picture of an Avalon getting trashed by the Kra'vak at New Lusaka in
2183
on MT pg 24. I take this to be the PAU Kinshasa, but it could be one of
the two UNSC survey cruisers lost off Lagos IV earlier in the same year.

>From 2163, the IF is recorded as being increasingly hostile to both the
NAC and the ESU. Also, see my comments on the ESU below.

> NSL
> Allies/Friendly: NAC, OUDF, Swiss, RH
> Enemies: FSE, ESU

Add IC to the list of enemies after their mercenaries took Salzburg for
the ESU in 2183.

Question: Again, do we have any canonical evidence to involve the OU or
the Swiss here? I tend to view a lot of the minor blocs and independent
nations as regional powers, but we don't really have enough information
to move away from this admittedly geocentric view.

> ESU
> Allies/Friendly: LLAR, IF, IC, FSE
> Enemies: RH, NAC, NSL, OUDF, Japan, NI
>
> I'm not even sure the IC shouldn't be an enemy too.

The IC provided many mercenary contingents for the Third Solar War.
So did the SK (Saeed Khalifate), finally kicking the RH out of Tsitsihar
in 2183.

The PAU joined in the Second Solar War, apparently as FSE allies.

The ESU clashed with the IF in 2123 over an anti-Islamic pogrom in
India.

Deduction: If the truth about Sumani IV (2173) ever came out, you can
bet that the IF are NOT considered friendly. This could explain how the
SK got on the ESU payroll, since they and the IF are the original
proponents of "enemy of my enemy".

Speculation: In the IC's war with the OU (2110-2112), many ESU
"advisors" were killed and their equipment and tactics shown to be
inferior. (Hey, I'm just a vacuum-head guessing without even a copy
of SG here.) The ESU bears a grudge as a result.

> FSE
> Allies/Friendly: PAU, ESU, LLAR
> Enemies: NAC, NSL, IF, NFR

Question: why put the IF on the hostile list? As far as I can see, the
FSE
is the only major power they haven't fallen out with.

> NI
> Allies/Friendly: NAC, OUDF, FCT, Japan
> Enemies: IF

Depending on how closely you link the NI on Epsilon Indi to the
Gilderstein Foundation, there may be grounds for bad blood between
NI and the IC. Then again, Israeli mercenaries were working for the IC
in 2131 (until they managed to get their contracts revoked).

Deduction: presumably NI doesn't like the SK either.

Question: how does the FCT fit in here?

> LLAR
> Allies/Friendly: ESU, FSE
> Enemies: NAC, FCT

Whilst the IC have fought for the same employers, I wouldn't think that
the LLAR would have forgiven them for the Mercenary War.

Also add the NSL to the list of enemies for Kayleigh in 2181. Both the
NAC and the NSL suffered considerable embarrassment at the result.

Speculation: If the FCT have rejected diplomatic approaches by the
LLAR then there probably is considerable resentment since the
recovery of their terrestrial holdings is probably one of the founding
principles of the LLAR state. The area of the Americas occupied by
the FCT is also the original bone of contention between the NAC and
the LLAR.

> PAU
> Allies/Friendly: FSE
> Enemies: NAC, RH, IF

The PAU also clashed with the IF in 2128 over off-planet resources.

View the following in non-proportional text:
(e.g. Windows users copy and paste to Notepad)

      RH  PAU OU  NSL NI  NAC KNG LLAR JP IF  IC  FSE FCT ESU
UNSC   F   F   C   C   F   C   F   N   F   C   F   C   F   C
ESU    H   C   N   H   N   H   N  C>N  N   H   F   F   N
FCT    N   N   N   F   N   F   F   D   N   N   N   N
FSE    H   C   N   H   N   H   R  N>F  N   F  F
IC     N   N   H   D  R>F  H   F   H   R   F
IF     N   H   N   N   I   H   N   N   N
JAP    N   N   F   N   F   C   N   H
LLAR   N   N   F   H   N   H   H
KNG    N   N   N   F   N   F
NAC    F   H   N   F   F
NI     N   N   F   N
NSL    C   H   N
OU     N   N
PAU    H

Implacable: always at war
Hostile:    frequently at war
Dispute:    ongoing dispute or grudge
Rival:	    in competition
Neutral:    no real dealings
Friendly:   have fought in the same cause
Client:     customer / client state

The UNSC line is a bit strange since I have listed it as a client of
all the nations I presumed to be original contributors (i.e. ship
builders). All other governments with terrestrial holdings are
friendly, while those without UN seats are merely neutral. Now
the UN has its own yards, things may be different.