Prev: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close Next: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close Assault

Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:03:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Sources for factual combat statistics, was Re: Modern Close

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:26:56 -0500, "Peter Mancini"
<Peter_Mancini@msn.com>
wrote:

>The game was unplayable - unless you got your rocks off on charts.
Being an a
ctuary would probably be a plus with that game, IMHO.  Others may like
it but,
I couldn't abide it.

The game was NOT unplayable. In fact, it flowed really well. The charts
looked
overwhelming, but they were not. It was pretty easy. In fact, the logic
was
such that after two or three shots you had the combat system down pat.
The
system around the combat charts was pretty smooth. There WAS a fair bit
of
"character creation" to get the basic numbers, but once that was done
the game
moved along pretty well.

I played a game at GenCon. 30 figures a side, 10 figures per person.
Used the
basic rules (a bit more streamlined than the full combat rules) and the
scenario was over in 3 hours.

I preferred the vehicle system, to be honest. It seemed to work better
for
tanks. And I liked the feel of the system. It gave realistic seeming
results
to what you did.

What I don't like is the "fudging" of the character skills. Characters
were
rated with skills from 3 to 18. All that accuracy in the game is fine,
but it
is all based on modifiers to a skill number that is essentially created
out of
thin air. This same problem, however, exists in other game systems like
GURPS.

The system used in "Dragonstar Rising", the board game, was adopted as a
"basic" version. The system used in the "Aliens" board game is very,
very
slick (reminds me a little of FMA), though I never did reverse engineer
the
character stats. Some of the weapon systems in the background univers
were
cool (I happen to like their land mines). I'm still planning (and have
about
half done) a conversion of the Living Steel background to SG2.

But the game was most definitely playable. I have very fond memories of
specific sewer based scenario...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca