Prev: Re: [SG] How about this? was [SG 15mm]Did anyone else see this? Next: [DS2] Close Assault question

Re: [FMA - possibly SG2/DS2] spotted/observed rules concept

From: Glenn m wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:47:32 EST
Subject: Re: [FMA - possibly SG2/DS2] spotted/observed rules concept

Stellar Conflicts and Uprisings by TCG has a mechanism for 'spotting'
enemy units.  Somewhat different mechanics but same intent.  You know
"it" is out there but until you 'spot' it you cannot shoot/hit it.

Gracias, Triphibious/Glenn (first war game played 1959)
Triphibious Marines = Nektons.
Not all Frogs are French, or even Human!
Nektons, be all the Marine you can be!
Resistance is EVERYTHING!

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:16:29 EST "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@msn.com>
writes:
> [...]
>wave of
>sound to travel.  To the clever ear it can bring useful information in
>night game (substitute for fog or other low visibility).  When playing
>game with hidden movement and a referee try using the following
>concept.
>Rank events by the amount of signature they give off.	Signature can
>be
>measured by sound, ground vibration and light flash.
>
>At the bottom of the signature list (least signature) would be troops
>walking on grass.  At the top, 240MM artillery firing, by battery,
>with the
>2097th Regimental Band playing "God and Our Glorious Cannon."	In the
>first
>case the signature travels perhaps a few meters.  In the second case
>the
>signature travels a few kilometers.  What makes them the same is, to
>certain
>observers they might no longer be hidden.
>
>Troops in hiding might hear the other troops walk past.  They won't
>know if
>they are friendly or enemy, or exactly how many there are or even
>exactly
>where they are.  However they will have a general indication that
>something
>is afoot.
>
>Here is another example.  If someone or a group fires a weapon, that
>sound
>will be heard.  A veteran or better will be able to tell almost
>instantly
>what kind of weapon it is, and perhaps it's type.  This could give
>rise to
>suspicion of who owns the weapon.  Example, U.S. Rangers dropped at
>night
>approach Bogainville.	Suddenly out of the night air comes the crisp
>sound
>of a couple of MP-40's crackling away.  They don't sound like
>Thompsons.
>The Ranger unit will know the general direction and the weapon type.
>If
>there is LOS then they might also see the muzzle flash.
>
>How do you game this?	Well my approach is this: I consider the source
>of
>the signature.  I then give it a scale of 1-20.  1 is a whisper and 20
>is
>something as horrific as a Main Gun blast from a tank.  That signature
>cubed
>is the potential range in meters that the sound travels.  At the high
>end
>that would be 8 kilometers.  Every obstuction in the way multiplies
>the
>sound by a 1/2.  What is an obstruction?  A solid wall, every 50
>meters of
>trees, a trench the observer is occupying.  I've created a chart in a
>spreadsheet that calculates the ranges based on the level of noise.
>
>	Range in meters at which signature can be spotted
Lvl	1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8
9
10	11	12	13	14	15	16	17	18
19
20
>UnObs	1	8	27	64	125	216	343	512
729
1000	1331	1728	2197	2744	3375	4096	4913	5832
6859
8000
>Obs1	0	1	3	8	16	27	43	64
91
125	166	216	275	343	422	512	614	729
857
1000
>Obs2	0	0	0	1	2	3	5	8
11
16	21	27	34	43	53	64	77	91
107
125
>Obs3	0	0	0	0	0	0	1	1
1
2	3	3	4	5	7	8	10	11
13
16

>UnObs = Unobstructed
>Obsn = Obstructed n levels.  As you can see - once you get past 3
>layers of
>obstruction it becomes very hard to hear an event.
>
>When it is determined that a unit is within range of a sound event
>there are
>these possible results:
>
>Enemy Spotted, Identifies type, weapons, location.
>Enemy Spotted, Identifies type, weapons
>Enemy Spotted, Identifies Type
>Enemy Not Spotted
>
>I haven't worked out to my own satisfaction a table that does this
>last bit
>justice.  I've tried a couple of things but it can be difficult.  You
>need
>rules that say things like: weapon designation only known if weapon
>fired,
>etc.
>
>Give it a try with a paper based night game.  Get a couple of friends
>together, give them maps, a squad and an objective they must shoot up.
> Have
>them write orders and pass them to you.  This isn't too far fetched,
>in the
>year 2000 only a very few troops get issued night vision equipment.
>
>--Peter

>Get more from your time online.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
>http://explorer.msn.com

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: [SG] How about this? was [SG 15mm]Did anyone else see this? Next: [DS2] Close Assault question