Prev: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams Next: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams

Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 23:52:55 +0000
Subject: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams

>> >3) Tom Barclay suggested a solution here: let level-X armour roll
>XD12
>> >instead of 1D12*X.
>
>St Jon said:
>> If I can jump in here (having watched the discussion with
interest....
>> <grin>), this is something that I'm seriously considering using for
>FMA,
>> with a possible retrofit to SG if it works; now, the main reason it
>wasn't
>> used in SG in the first place is that I didn't like the idea of
having
>> roll 5 dice (or 1 die 5 times) for an armour-5 target. What does
>everyone
>> else think about this? It's certainly a better probability system,
but
>is
>> it too much die rolling or not...?
>
>I was rolling 22 dice per NSL capital ship a few days ago, no problem.
>Certainly gave a lot better feel than rolling 1d6 and multiplying by 22
>would have.  I don't see why that wouldn't be the same in SG.

My worry is that it means that in some cases you could need five (or
more!)
of EVERY die type per player, or else you'd be re-rolling  the same dice
and trying to remember the scores you rolled (or even worse, having to
write them down!) - something I tried really hard to avoid. In FT is is
bit different because it's just a handful of D6, and everyone has loads
of
them. If everyone agrees that it won't be a problem, however, I'll
probably
go with it.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams Next: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams