Prev: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions Next: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions

RE: Painting, Airbrush Questions [CLEAN STAMP]

From: "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@e...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:56:05 -0500
Subject: RE: Painting, Airbrush Questions [CLEAN STAMP]

John Fox wrote:

>Hello Everyone:
> I am thinking about getting an airbrush to do some painting of my
> minatures and I have a couple questions.
>
> 1) What type of paint should one use with the airbrush?
> A laquer type paint, acrylic, water bases, oil based what?

So far, I've only used Testor's Acryl paints, but I'm really happy
with the results. They have flat military colors, glossy automobile
colors, and a short range of flesh tones.

> 2) How many coats of the paint does one normaly have to use to
> completely cover a minature?

Usually 1-3, depending on the paint and the effect you want.

> 3) How narrow (wide) of a area can one paint with one pass?

It depends on how narrow the nozzle is, and how much practice you've
had.

> 4) The paints at the hobby store for models are expensive.  Can I use
> something from Home Depot or a hardware store? (related to Q#1)

Gack! No! Anything from a hardware store is likely to clog your brush.
Hobby paints have been filtered more finely than hardware-store paint.

> 5) Is it worth getting an airbrush?

Sure, if it's fun & you like to work with it. If you don't, it will be
a waste of money.

> If some people could help me with these questions (or any I have not
> thought of) I would appreciate it.

Airbrushes are great for vehicles & buildings. I've found that it's
too hard to use them on 25mm scale people, unless you want to use the
airbrush to give them an base coat, and then use a standard brush for
the details.

> Thanks
> John W. Fox

======

This electronic message transmission contains information from
Electronic
Systems, Inc., which may be confidential or privileged.  This
information
is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If
you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure,
copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please
notify
us immediately by telephone at	(804)649-1800

[INFO] -- Virus Manager:
This email message and any attachments were scanned by the WorldSecure
Server t
hat protects Electronic Systems and its customers. No Viruses were
detected in
this message.

======

Prev: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions Next: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions