Prev: RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: RE: Painting, Airbrush Questions [CLEAN STAMP]

Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions

From: "Scott Jaqua" <jaqua@c...>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:49:45 -0800
Subject: Re: Painting, Airbrush Questions

I use two paint brushes, One is a single action and the other is a
double
action. Each brush does different things. I will have a try at answering
your questions.

> Hello Everyone:
>   I am thinking about getting an airbrush to do some painting of my
miniatures
> and I have a couple questions.
>
>   1) What type of paint should one use with the airbrush?
>   A lacquer type paint, acrylic, water bases, oil based what?

Depending on the brand of airbrush, you can run any paint you want. The
only
thing you have to worry about is pigment size. You want a paint with a
finely ground pigment to shoot through the airbrush. Of course most
model
paints already have a fine pigment. Enamels and lacquers dry fast and
cover
slightly better then an acrylic when used with an airbrush. However,
they
use nasty thinners thinning the paint and clean-up. So, I use acrylics
in my
airbrushes most of the time.

>   2) How many coats of the paint does one normally have to use to
completely
> cover a miniature?

Different paints cover differently. Generally, the lighter the color,
the
more coats. Patience pays off here. Many very thin coats can give you a
nice
even finish.

>   3) How narrow (wide) of a area can one paint with one pass?

A single action airbrush is good for broad strokes and is what I use for
laying on a base coat. It can produce a spray pattern about 1 inch in
diameter. The double action brush can tighten the spray pattern down
enough
to produce 1/8 inch lines. However airbrush lines will always have a
soft
edge to them.

>   4) The paints at the hobby store for models are expensive.	Can I
use
> something from Home Depot or a hardware store? (related to Q#1)

Once again you need very fine pigment, so I don't think the hardware
store
is an option. However, you might want to try the art supply store. I
have
Pearl art supply near me. They discount everything. And they carry the
complete line of Testers Model Masters acrylic paint for about 30% off
hobby
shop prices.

>   5) Is it worth getting an airbrush?

I paint a lot of mini's. I couldn't live without both my airbrushes. But
unless you do a good number of mini's it may not be worth it to you.

>   If some people could help me with these questions (or any I have not
thought
> of) I would appreciate it.

Let's see airbrushes are very good for aging and weathering effects. Use
very thinned down paint. An airbrush is easier to control then a wash.

>   Thanks
>   John W. Fox

No problem, my opinions are free, for what ever they are worth.

Scott B. Jaqua

Prev: RE: SG2 questions, mostly shooting from vehicles Next: RE: Painting, Airbrush Questions [CLEAN STAMP]