Prev: Re: RE- HH missiles Next: Re: [DS2] newbie Q

Completely OT, was Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 20:22:37 +0100
Subject: Completely OT, was Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Alan Brain wrote:

>>>Nowt wrong wit' Yorkshire Pud, Lad, Them as eats most Pud
>>>gets most meat.
>>
>>That's wasteful. Those that eat the mose Yorkshire Pudding are
>>unable to eat very much meat afterwords, so if the ones that are
still >>hungry don't get the meat you have to throw it away...

>When I was growing up in the UK in late 50s and early 60s, take it
>from me there was *no* meat thrown away. Mainly because there
>was no meat.

Which makes the threat/promise above rather pointless, don't you think?
;-)

>Remember food rationing in the UK was a lot worse post-war than
>during the war - a lot of UK production went to the mainland of
Europe, >where people were actually and literally starving - and
rationing ended >only in 1953.

I know. My grandfather worked in Germany (Darmstadt) in the early
50's... the family lived in one of the few non-ruined houses in the
town.

>>Given the almost complete lack of taste and flavour of an average
>>Yorkshire Pudding - considerably less flavour than most British
boiled
>>vegetables ;-) - I'd expect it to go well with about anything <g>
>
>Agree that English Boiled vegetables are a culinary atrocity: but a
good
>Yorkshire Pud cooked in the dripping from the roast, now that's a meal
>in its own right. Obviously you've never tasted a good Y.P.

I've eaten one decent (not *good*, but decent) YP... that's why I said
"average" above <g>

>Should you ever come down here to Oz, I'll serve you up some, along
>with other good Australian cuisine, such as Yakitori Chicken, Thai
>Green Curry, 6 Alarm Chilli and Steak n Eggs.

Meat pie floater...? Hm, no - better leave that one out <g>

>Just not all on the same plate... And I do a mean Padh Thai, but I
tend
>to be both heavy on the Lime Juice and fish sauce.

As long as you don't include pickled lime peels, I'd be delighted :-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: RE- HH missiles Next: Re: [DS2] newbie Q