Prev: Re: SV: [FT] Heavy Pulse Torps Next: Completely OT, was Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Re: RE- HH missiles

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 20:15:17 +0100
Subject: Re: RE- HH missiles

bif smith

>>'Course, I still don't understand why you insist on applying the
>>Tuffleyverse mass scale on a completely different background, but
>>that's another topic :-/
>
>I`m trying to keep to the recognised mass scale as used in the game,

There's no generic "recognised mass scale" in FT. The Tuffleyverse,
with its rather small ships and crews, use one scale. If you use FT for
any other background, use whatever mass scale you like.

Like, for example, the way you did the Arachnid SD designs. In the
Starfire background they're between 150'000 and 200'000 tons - if you
had stuck rigidly to the *Tuffleyverse* mass scale with them, they
would've been 8-10 times bigger than they are.

>because  it is a good scale for the weapons used in the HH universe. I
>THINK I remember that the mass was given for a HH missile >somewhere
in the novels, but I cannot fimd it at the moment

50-75 tons for "normal" missiles. Don't think I've seen any figures on
the advanced ones featured in "Echoes of Honor" but they reduce
magazine capacities by 18% so should be around 90 tons each. With the
Mass scale you use, 0.5-1 Mass - but that in turn means a damage of
between 1D3 and 1D6 if you want to maintain the game balance, and that
low a damage per missile makes them rather weaker than the ship-killers
they are in the novels.

>>Wouldn't it be simpler to just give the weapon the same stats as a
>>Pulser-C...?
>
>I`m trying to give limits to a weapon reversed engineered from alien
>tech, and limiting it to only close range band makes the weapon
>dangerous

Pulsers are limited to a single setting during a battle, and that's
what the points system is designed for. They're not priced for campaign
play where the re-tuning ability makes them kind of "modular"... so
simply say that "it's a Pulser-C which can't be re-configured". No need
for extra complication <shrug>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: SV: [FT] Heavy Pulse Torps Next: Completely OT, was Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)