Prev: RE- HH missiles Next: RE: RE- HH missiles

Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:30:09 +1000
Subject: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

> >Nowt wrong wit' Yorkshire Pud, Lad, Them as eats most Pud
> >gets most meat.
>
> That's wasteful. Those that eat the mose Yorkshire Pudding are unable
> to eat very much meat afterwords, so if the ones that are still hungry
> don't get the meat you have to throw it away...

When I was growing up in the UK in late 50s and early 60s, take it
from me there was *no* meat thrown away. Mainly because there
was no meat.
Remember food rationing in the UK was a lot worse post-war than during
the war - a lot of UK production went to the mainland of Europe, where
people were actually and literally starving - and rationing ended only
in
1953.
By the time I was born, things had improved a lot. But there were still
things like the School Orange Juice and Milk programmes, there to
make sure no child was malnourished. And they were needed.

> Given the almost complete lack of taste and flavour of an average
> Yorkshire Pudding - considerably less flavour than most British boiled
> vegetables ;-) - I'd expect it to go well with about anything <g>

Agree that English Boiled vegetables are a culinary atrocity: but a good
Yorkshire Pud cooked in the dripping from the roast, now that's a meal
in its own right. Obviously you've never tasted a good Y.P. Should you
ever come down here to Oz, I'll serve you up some, along with other
good Australian cuisine, such as Yakitori Chicken, Thai Green Curry,
6 Alarm Chilli and Steak n Eggs.
Just not all on the same plate... And I do a mean Padh Thai, but I tend
to be both heavy on the Lime Juice and fish sauce.

To keep this almost vaguely on-topic, here's a quote from the first
draft
of Cecil Rhodes' will:

:...to and for the establishment, promotion and development of a
Secret Society, the true aim and object whereof shall be the extension
of British rule throughout the world, ... the ultimate recovery of the
Unites States as an integral part of the British Empire...

The final version watered this down to Sanity, and established the
Rhodes Scholarship, as being more likely to suceed in the aims
than any Secret Society.

Bill Clinton's a Rhodes Scholar IIRC. As was Bob Hawke, a former
prime minister of Australia and leader of the ACTu (Australian
Council of Trade Unions, equivt of US AFL-CIO)

So maybe the NAC is part of some long-term conspiracy....

Prev: RE- HH missiles Next: RE: RE- HH missiles