Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] articulation - a final thought Next: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

RE- HH missiles

From: "bif smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 12:06:24 +0100
Subject: RE- HH missiles

Oerjan Ohlson wrote

>'Course, I still don't understand why you insist on applying the
>Tuffleyverse mass scale on a completely different background, but
>that's another topic :-/

I`m trying to keep to the recognised mass scale as used in the game,
because
it is a good scale for the weapons used in the HH universe. I THINK I
remember that the mass was given for a HH missile somewhere in the
novels,
but I cannot fimd it at the moment (if it was even there, and my mind
isn`t
playing tricks). Also, using the FT missiles give you the chance to
overwelm
the PDS of the target.

>Means the HH ships can't have broadside-mounted missile launchers?

You could use a two arc launcher, but I prefer using 2 single arc
launchers,
and the mid phase movement to bracket the target.

I did try using a 1 mass to 1000 tonnes ratio, but . the 1 mass to 100
tonnes ratio seams to match the mass for the weapons better (plus a DD
at
mass 400, with a thrust of 9, level 1 screen, ftl & F hull leaves a mass
for
weapons and equipment of 120 (alot of weapons (he he))).

>Wouldn't it be simpler to just give the weapon the same stats as a
>Pulser-C...?

I`m trying to give limits to a weapon reversed engineered from alien
tech,
and limiting it to only close range band makes the weapon dangerous (so
you
wouldn`t mind using it instead of the normal human weapons you are used
to),but expensive (witch limits it`s use, especially with the limited
range).

>Should be HULL(F); otherwise OK. (W) would be around 5 boxes.

OOPS, should have spotted that, sorry, typo error (that`s my excuse).

David Rodemaker wrote

>My only one is that a Mass is an abstract unit of measure that in the
GZG
>game is 100 tonnes. Do the crew numbers match up from the HH universe
>GZG universe? In the GZG universe there is roughly 1 crew per Mass.
Without
>dragging novels off the shelf I can only recall the crewing
requirements to
>be a little lower in the HH universe. I suspect that translating the
ships
>would also require a "upping" of the Tonnes to Mass ratio.

And laserlight wrote

>  FT ships are much smaller in "official" mass and crew than HH ships.
Of
course, you
>can ignore the "official" scale and define it however you like.

Yup, a HH BC has a crew of 2105 for a tonnage of 879 000 tonnes. If
using FT
mass ratio the mass would be 8790 mass, and the crew would be roughly 4x
that as given by DW for the HH HMS NIKE BC. Of corse, you could always
reduce the tonnage to mass ratio by a quater to reduce the crew ratio to
FT
norms (i.e.-1 mass =400 tonnes aprox.), but the ships will still be big.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] articulation - a final thought Next: Re: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)