Prev: Re: Re:Armor Next: Re: Vehicle Recognition

RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:18:45 -0400
Subject: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

The GZG Future History begins stellar colonization in 2069.
It takes 70 years for the population of Albion to equal
(almost) the population of England. Now admittedly, this
was exceptional growth utilizing immigration and population
control. And it does not at that time equal the population
of all of the NAC holdings on Earth. It also does not
state if the other colonies have similar programs to increase
population. This is the only reference that I have found
to the population of colonies compared to the population
of Earth holdings.

I guess the shape of demographics depends on your
idea of how much colonization takes place.

My reading:
Every major and most minor governments have begun
colonization by 2075. We know that the AC (later NAC)
used social engineering to bolster population growth.
We know that starting in 2072/2075 the LLAR "looks
to space as a means of expansion". Much of this early
LLAR colonization would likely be from Central America
which has become occupied by the AC. When the
LLAR loose all of their holdings on Earth, the government,
and supporters flee to the colony of Santa Rico. Now
"supporters" could be read as just a few thousand
or as several million. It is possible that the NAC "allowed"
those wishing to immigrate from Central and South
America to do so, leaving a more loyal population in the
conquered territories. This would require less resources
to govern. I could see similar exodus from other parts
of the Earth as hostilities climb. When Israel was nuked,
I imagine that the IF found immigration an attractive
option (I believe the prevailing winds blow
from the Mediterranean across Israel toward the Arab
countries). Noam's New Jordan is an example of this.
But I would think that it would be even wider spread
than Jordan. ESU has several reasons to colonize.
First is population crowding. Having swallowed the
Indian sub-continent, and already being comprised of
China, the ESU would have the greatest number of
citizens and population density. Putting its people
on colonies would provide for a more productive
workforce and easier control (albeit through regional
and local controlling bodies).
My reading of the GZG Future History is that by
2075, Earth has become overcrowded and polluted.
The number of colonization efforts launched between
2069 and 2075 represent a mass exodus of earth.
By mass exodus, I mean at least 5% of the population
or ~ 400 million - 1 billion depending on the population
of the Earth at that time (population estimates for
2050 is between 8 billion and 20 billion depending on
population controls -- see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special_report/1999/06/99/world_populat
ion/
newsid_379000/379083.stm). By 2136, when the NAC
revise the constitution to recognize colonies as
independent members, I would say that the population
of the combined colonies is at least 50% of Earth
and more likely 150% of Earth or more (the colonies
would have encouraged population growth, encouraged
immigration, financial incentives, etc. while the
population on Earth would have just the opposite)
Anyway, that is my read on population in the GZG
Future History.

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net