Prev: Re: Vehicle Recognition Next: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Re: Re:Armor

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:28:17 +0100
Subject: Re: Re:Armor

Laserlight wrote:

>The current FT "armor" seems to me to simulate Traveler
>sandcasters--omnidirectional, one box protects the same whether for a
>DD or SDN, and it's ablative.
>
>How about "real" armor?  For example, 1% of hull mass for each face
>protected, stops 1 point of damage from every weapon, not subject to
>threshold checks and doesn't reduce rerolls.

The basic idea is fine, but has two serious problems in FT/FB:

- You need to roll damage for each weapon separately, including beams.
Rolling separate damage each beam/Pulser battery aboard 10+ ships slows
the game down a *lot* - other weapons aren't affected since they only
roll one die each anyway. (If you deduct 1 pt. of damage from every
beam *die*, you effectively remove beams and Pulsers from the game -
thus I assume that you didn't mean this!)

- The balance between the weapons goes out the airlock - you'll have to
re-do all weapon costs from scratch.

(Yes, I've tried a very similar system. No, I didn't carry through with
re-balancing everything...)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Vehicle Recognition Next: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)