Prev: Re: Vehicle Recognition Next: Re: Return of FMA...

RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:22 GMT
Subject: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

>rFrom: Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil
> > Subject:	FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)
> >
> > re: discussion of place names and names for the populace.

> You are still displaying Terra-centric thinking!
> By 2135 the AC have moved thier main government body off Earth to
> Albion. And there are people who have been born, grew up and died
> that have never seen Earth first-hand. At some point, people will
> start to stop thinking of Earth nations and start thinking in terms
> of the planet on which they were born (Albion, Hadely's Hope,
> Kakisa, Merril's World, New Toledo, etc.).
> Thier alliances will follow thier idea of home (Far Stars Union,
> Rim Worlds Concordium, Rim Worlds, Confederacy, Alarishi Empire,
> etc.).

Good points

> I would have expected most of the GZG nations to follow the lead of >
the NAC and NSL in changing thier names to match the people they
> represent and not the geographic location on Earth where they
> started.

Except that name-giving is a quirky and unpredictable process.

And to a native German speaker, 'New Swabian League' sounds plain
wrong, as the Swabians are a rather small part of Germanyx and I see no
way a
union of Germans, Austrians etc. could be named after them. Rather like
calling the NAC the 'New Yorkshire Confederacy'. I justify it to my
mind with the argument that the negotiations leading to the NSL were
held
in the colony city of Neu Schwaben and the League was named after the
place.

> The LLAR, especially, would find little meaning in 'Latin American
> Republics', other than nursing old wounds, since they have had no
> holdings on Earth since 2098. I would have expected a name change to
> something linke the 'League of Latino Peoples' or if they still
> have organized themselves into republics on thier colony worlds
> 'League of Latino Republics' or some such name.

Except that simply 'Latino' would include Spanish and Portuguese
speakers from elsewhere (Europe, Africa and South East Asia/ FSE, PAU
and IC),
and in a wider sense, Italians, French and Rumanians ( plus the
Vatican). So the 'American' may well be kept in the name, especially
since the
NAC has dropped it.
Maybe in 2180, 'American' citizen will mean LLAR citizen ? ;-)

Gets ready to duck the Narn bats
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Vehicle Recognition Next: Re: Return of FMA...