Prev: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)

Re: Vehicle Recognition

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 11 Oct 2000 13:03 GMT
Subject: Re: Vehicle Recognition

>Absender: oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
> Donald Hosford wrote:
>
> >Sounds like Oerjan (and several others...) need some help in
> >vehicle recognition.
>
> You got it completely backwards. My problem is that I and my
> opponents recognise *TOO MANY* existing vehicles - which means that >
we also far too often identify the parts a kit-bashed "SF" vehicle
> is built from.

Same problem with plane-kit-bashed spaceships, I often recognize the
basic components :-(

Even happens with graphics. I remember 'SF' illustrations of
'spaceships' that were easily recognizable as B-58 Hustlers or F-16
Falcons wit
beam guns added, complete with air intakes :-)

> BTW, there's a set of vehicle recognition tests on-line at
> http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5423/index.html .
>
> FWIW, when I first tried them I had one error (of 30 possible <g>)
> in the "friend or foe" test (mistook a Soviet 2S6 AA vehicle for a
> German Gepard

I just did it without errors, but I was forewarned about the Gepard and
some of them were guesses. Haven't taken the naming test yet.

Some of the 'friend or foe' pictures were tricky, like the Brits in
front of an Arab mosque or the Leopard variant (the Italian 'Lion', I
guess
?) in desert colours. And I guess in some quarters anything painted
white with big 'UN' letters would be automatically identified as 'foe'.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live) Next: RE: FSE misnomer (what you call where you live)