Prev: Re: AFV Recognition Next: RE: [FT] MS Access

Re: AFV Recognition

From: aebrain@d...
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:17:57 GMT
Subject: Re: AFV Recognition

htm
Sender: owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

>BTW, there's a set of vehicle recognition tests on-line at
>http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/5423/index.html .
>
>FWIW, when I first tried them I had one error (of 30 possible <g>) in
>the "friend or foe" test (mistook a Soviet 2S6 AA vehicle for a German
>Gepard - ie., I wouldn't have fired when I should have... at least I
>wouldn't've caused a blue-on-blue),

There was one I could have sworn was an IKV-91 (wasn't, was some type of
T-some
thing
I imagine), but otherwise 29/30, allowing max of 1 sec to answer each.

Of course the days when you could say Western=Friend, Eastern=Foe are
long gone
.
Kuwaitis use T-72s not Vickers MBTs, There's a whole load of BTRs in
various
marks in NATO now, and the Mi-8 is becoming quite ubiquitous. So the
Friend/Foe
bit just tests my Cold War Reflexes *shrug*.

> but only 33 of 40 in the naming tests.

32 for me.

> My chronic inability to tell the difference between the various
ex-Soviet
IFVs struck again :-(

Ditto. BTR-70, BTR-80 look remarkably similar, and I can never remember
which
characteristics to look for to split them unless they're next to one
another.
Similarly T-80,-90.

I'm reminded about Oscar Wilde's (?) comment on the Kama Sutra: that
positions
91 and 158 are the same, except in 158 the woman has her fingers
crossed.

And I know several of the vehicles by a different nomenclature - so I
may not
know it's a 2S1, to me it's an S-122.

Prev: Re: AFV Recognition Next: RE: [FT] MS Access