Prev: Re: [sg] Spider Drones Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #131

Re: [SG] in seach of 15mm

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 6 Oct 2000 13:49:55 -0700
Subject: Re: [SG] in seach of 15mm

On Fri, 06 October 2000, Aron_Clark@digidesign.com wrote:

> I've recently begun the arduous move from SG 25 to 15mm.  I prefer
this scale
> for a variety of reasons (reduced cost, better storage, improved
tacticle fee
l,
> etc.), but one of the sticking points has been the lack of vechicles
in this
> scale.

I'm sort of wrestling with this myself. I like the look of the 25mm
figures, bu
t I feel it plays better with 15mm. I'm planning to keep my 25s for
infantry ba
sed games, and due to the fact I don't have enough 15s painted
(actually, not t
rue; I have plenty of old 15mm Traveller figures painted, but I want to
paint u
p official SG2 figures).

Vehicles are an issue, but paradoxically 15mm is better for vehicle
heavy games
. Here's what I use (this is a repeat for most).

- 15mm Traveller Grav Tanks. I missed getting the one that came up on
eBay, bec
ause I really couldn't see paying US$130 for one vehicle!!! Especially
as I hav
e 3 already. I'd like 1 (heck, 3!) more of these but realistically you
aren't g
oing to get many anti grav tank battles in SG2.

- Rocco minitanks untouched. These are HO scale, but look great beside
15mm SG2
 and Traveller figures. I try to stay away from US vehicles simply
because in N
orth America everyone knows what an M113, Bradley, or Abrams looks like.
I use
German Marder APCs (with guns on top) for my tracked APCs.

- Modified Rocco Minitanks. Same HO scale, but they kitbash well. I pull
the tr
acks off them and cut styrene sheets into panels. The panels fill in the
spaces
 where the tracks were located. They make pretty decent hovertanks. I
use Germa
n marders for grav APCs, but a specific variant: the driver training
variant. T
he reason is that instead of a gun turret, it has a very sci-fi looking
dome on
 top. For Grav tanks, I have used two. I modified a Sheridan into a grav
tank,
which doesn't look too bad, if boxy. There's also the latest variant of
the Leo
pard 2, the Leopard 2A5 KWS II, which makes a great anti grav tank (you
can als
o keep it "as is" for a tracked tank). Here's a site with pictures of
the real
vehicle. The front armour on the turret is reminiscent of the Traveller
grav ta
nks:

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/leo2.htm

Scroll down for the Leopard 2.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: [sg] Spider Drones Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #131