Prev: RE: [figures] Interesting development Next: Re: Asymetric ships

Re: [figures] Interesting development

From: Mark Reindl <mreindl@p...>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:36:26 -0700
Subject: Re: [figures] Interesting development

Hmm, given the probable cost of the equipment, I wouldn't expect to see
3D printers
in the (average) household price range for some years yet.  However,
assuming that
Toybuilders is legit, you could start making your own stuff now.  Simply
draw a
sketch of it, tell 'em the size, and let them do the "sculpting" so to
speak.	They
send it to you, you make a mold using rtv and the master, and you're off
and
running.  Seems to me that you could see a veritable explosion of new
minis if this
catches on.  It'd certainly be a boon to those who like to produce
custom designs
(I'd consider it for Battletech minis myself, it'd certainly be easier
than
kitbashing something together, if a bit more expensive).

Mark

Michael Brown wrote:

> But when will this be available for home use?  Looks like we may have
an outlet
> for REALLY custom fleets.
>
> Michael Brown

Looks like
> they use a 3D CAD program called Solid Works (which I have at the
office).

> Scott B. Jaqua
>
> Charles Stanley Taylor wrote:
>
> > Not specifically GZG related (except that GZG produces figures), but
> > have a look at the article on 3D printers in this weeks New
Scientist