Prev: Re: [DS] looking for a 6mm air/raft Next: Re: [FT] Building FT306

Re: [FT] various subsystems

From: Jon Davis <davisje@n...>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:53:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] various subsystems

"Barclay, Tom" wrote:

> The first I call (after the CarWars inspiration)
> component armour. Which is to say, rather than
> general superstructure armour, particular armour
> for a particular subsystem.
>
> I see two ways to implement such a system. Either can be
> represented by surrounding the system on the SSD with
> a set of concentric boxes (ie basically a double border)
> which has a number beside it indicating the level.
>
> In the 1st method, the number written beside the box
> indicates how many "extra hits" that system can take
> before going out of operation.

Shades of Star Fleet Battles.  A ship SSD could begin to look
like a SFB or B5W sheet.  Not too practical.

> In the 2nd method, the number represents a concept akin
> to screen mechanics. For each level of armour, a
> threshold roll is modified by -1 to the die roll. This
> means that if the ship is thresholding on a six, the
> 1 lvl component armoured system doesn't need to check.
> If the ship is making the 5+ threshold, the system
> checks on a six.

The core systems have a similar mechanic with a deferred
threshold check.  Checking at 7+, 6+, and 5+ respectively for
each damage row.

Typical systems of choice would be a fire control, screen,
and drives.  Double the mass and point cost for an hardened
system. (Making armored drives VERY expensive...)

Would these systems be immune from needle beam attacks?

Jon

Prev: Re: [DS] looking for a 6mm air/raft Next: Re: [FT] Building FT306