Prev: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author Next: [FT] New way of moving ships

Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@A...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:01:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author

Brad Carlson wrote:

{snippage!}

> Any gamer who wants true 3D, with x^2+y^2=z^2 calculations, and a
> "map" that scrolls in three dimensions, is usually very able to add
> these elements him/herself.

I think this comment discribes most of the those on this list...8D

{snippage!}

> I HAVE played full thrust. According to the books I have (Full Thrust,
> More Thrust), the allowed races are:
>     "Standard" whatever that is
>     "Kra'Vak"
>     "Sa'vasku"
>
> And I don't see any chapter anywhere on creating your own race, with
> its own special abilities and unique weapons.
> Yes, the system is open enough to give you some flexability, but with
> the limited weapon choices, it does not seem to me like you can really
> capture the flavor of your favorite race. Just my opinion -- y.m.m.v.

What FT does is allow the players to create whatever situation the
players want to game in.  I think this does disturb those players who
prefer "rules based" situation creation to FT's open ended system.

> You CAN do that with Starship! In fact, you have to -- there are no
> "standard" races.
>
> Have I missed something? Or were these Federation, B5, and Gallactica
> ships created "outside" the rules.

FT allows the players to use whatever the play group desides to allow.
I have heard of a game designer (who should be nameless...)  who once
said: "If you are not playing my game the way I designed it, then you
are not playing my game right!"
He didn't seem to realize that games will, once they get a game home,
will tear it apart and attempt to "run the wheels off it".  IMHO any
game designer who does realize this finds the game players to be a most
interesting source of ideas...(Right Jon?  ?)

{snippage!}

> Thanks!
> Feel free to post this to the FT newsgroup, if you wish.
>
> -Brad

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Starship! and FT, from the author Next: [FT] New way of moving ships