Prev: Re: Gencon UK 2000 Results Next: Re: [FT] I've found my second

Re: Alderson Drive

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:31:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Alderson Drive

> Hi Chris,
>

> Does any of the Pournelle/Niven books given any PSB on how or why
> two stars would be connected through an Alderson point?
>
> I remember in Gripping Hand how the nova or collapse (don't quite
> remember that detail (8-) ) of a star caused a new point to appear
> in the Motie system, for example.  That implies change in gravity,
> which implies Mass (which follows your reasoning of Mass
> though less of temperature.)	Can somebody who actually has the
> books handy take a look and tell me if I'm out to lunch?  (8-)
>
> JGH

It was the collapse of the nebula into a star--once thermonuclear
reaction
started, a tram line formed.  It's purely nuke, not mass--I was just
thinking the mass of the star would influence how much nuclear activity
there would be, thus how strong a tram line.  It is stated that nuclear
weapons detonations can affect the Alderson point.

Prev: Re: Gencon UK 2000 Results Next: Re: [FT] I've found my second