Prev: Re: (fwd) Review of a new wash technique for miniature figures Next: Re: Alderson Drive

Re: Gencon UK 2000 Results

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 18:28:13 +0200
Subject: Re: Gencon UK 2000 Results

Allan Goodall wrote:

>I noticed that the KV fleet didn't do that well in the tournament. Any
>comments on that?

Sure <g> Can't speak for the other KV player (IIRC he was fairly new to
the game and got knocked out early), but I had three problems:

- The playing areas in two of my battles were rather cramped (IIRC
50x70 mu) and the starting speeds were low (3xThrust). I'm not
particularly used to having to worry about flying off the table, nor to
flying in syrup ;-) I didn't have time to reach proper maneuvering
speeds before I needed to maneuver...

- The time limit meant that I pretty much had to attack every turn in
order to inflict any real casualties

These two together meant that I couldn't withdraw outside enemy weapon
range to set up the next attack run; I had to turn around inside B2
range of the enemy - not necessarily a good idea when fighting NSL
fleets :-/

- Measuring in inches is visually quite different from measuring in cm.
When I remembered to measure the distance to the enemy before writing
orders I usually ended up just where I wanted; when I didn't... I
usually got rather surprised :-7

The third battle was lost mainly because I screwed up and my opponent
didn't (nearly as much, at least <g>) - I misread a P4 turn for a P3,
which meant that a damaged Markgraf of his ended movement outside the
(F) arc of my Lo'Vok instead of right in front of it, which in turn
saved that cruiser's life and allowed it to destroy my Si'Tek.
Unfortunately I didn't notice the mistake until after too late <sigh>
Those two cruisers together were 549 victory points...

'Course, I can always blame the dice - the sixes were appearently
strictly reserved for my enemies' PDSs and my own threshold checks <G>
Losing 5 heavy fighters to a single PDS die kinda hurt... considering
how badly my fighters fared in each of my battles (ie., losing 5
fighters to the first ship they attacked in each of the battles) I
probably should've gone with the battlecruiser fleet instead :-)

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: (fwd) Review of a new wash technique for miniature figures Next: Re: Alderson Drive