Prev: Re: DragonFlight 2000 Next: Re: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player

Re: DragonFlight 2000

From: Corey Burger <burgundavia@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:29:18 -0700
Subject: Re: DragonFlight 2000

To speak to the sage of running into asteroids, speak to my brother.
From
my experience, it is very easy to calculate how to navigate asteroid
fields. To clarify, we usually run with about 5" between the asteroids
and
usually in several distinct groups. Planets with gravity make it even
more
interesting.

We usually run, and I believe this is the offical rule, is that if a
line
between the starting and beginning positions intersect the asteroid, or
other object, the ship has met a rocky end and the cursing of the
stupidity
of admirial are heard sector wide.

I have several scratch-built asteroid ships, and they blend in real well
with our asteroids, seeing both are mounted on stands. IHMO, base
everything that is not a ship on square stands to avoid confusion. And
mount them low and your ships high. Cardboard and nails work well for
this.
For asteriods use lava rocks that you would use in a BBQ.

Hope that answers your questions,

Corey

At 08:43 PM 2000-08-29 -0500, you wrote:
>on 8/29/00 18:15, Brian Burger at yh728@victoria.tc.ca wrote:
>
>> It was a great con - seemed a bit quieter than last year, but still
lots
>> of interesting games & people. Good to meet some more listmembers, as
>> well.
>
>Stop that.  Now you're making me regret my decision to not fly out to
>Dragonflight this year.
>
>> Vector is so much more flexible - you can be scooting along in one
>> direction and firing in another direction entirely. It 'feels' more
like
>> space combat to me - FT with cinematic felt much like the ACW naval
game
>> I'd played earlier in the convention, not really like a space game...
>> personal thing, I know, but I do prefer vector.
>
>Another thing I like about vector is fast ships still have an advantage
but
>anyone with main drives (well thrusters in this case) can spin around
so
>getting into a ships rear arc may still be possible but staying there
in the
>following turns takes finesse.
>
>> For 'challenging' - try getting a ship or squadron thru an asteroid
field
>> using vector! We've even done some vector orbital stuff, and that's
enough
>> fun to make the combat nearly superflous. Watching a big SDN spiral
up out
>> of low orbit is pretty cool.
>
>So how do you determine whether you've navigate the field properly (I'm
>curious about the method here)?  Do you see if a straight line from the
>starting point of movement and the ending point of movement intersects
an
>obstacle that's hazardous to it's longevity?
>
>Kevin Walker
>sage@bresnanlink.net

-----
Email:burgundavia@crosswinds.net
Website:burgundavia.f2s.com

I think it would be superfluous in me to point out to your lordship that
this is a war
	Charles Francis Adams

Prev: Re: DragonFlight 2000 Next: Re: [FT] Questions from a new Full Thrust player