Prev: [FT]Unbalanced? Next: Sa'Vasku

Re: Campaign ideas?

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:50:43 +1000
Subject: Re: Campaign ideas?

G'day Galen,

 >Pursuant to embarking upon my own campaign design,
 >I am looking for some feedback from full thrust campaigns
 > that people have played in.	How was it set up, what did you
 >like/dislike.  What are your expectations when you enter into
 >a new campaign game?	What set-ups seem to have the best
 >results?  How could things have been better?

Much of this depends on what resources you have available (time and
figure
wise), we played a relatively small campaign (fleet wise) as we were
trying
to encourage the guys at the club that one had a fleet pack and nothing
more. We had a series of systems (dots on a map which represented sun +
associated planets) that mapped out jump routes (you could only jump two

hexes in a go and had to leave and land in a system hex). This worked
quite
well as it formed choke points to be fought over, but you didn't have to
be
worried about being hit from all 360 deg at once. Each system had a
random
number of points allocated to it (between 20 and 200, IIRC) which you
used
in each economic turn (every 4th campaign turn) to pay for new
construction, upgrades, major repairs and 15% fleet maintenance (I can
send
you more precise details off-list if you want).

It was a lot of fun all up, but I'd say the two biggest downsides to the

campaign were (1) its victory conditions (hold 50% of the map), heaps of

people got knocked out or distracted before we got near that goal and
(2)
the build times, we were playing at the club so got in a turn a week so
you
ended up building in almost real time (SDN taking about 32 weeks to
build!!!) - given its a wargame and things are going to die that was
probably too long.

Have fun

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: [FT]Unbalanced? Next: Sa'Vasku