Prev: [FT] Fighter discussion Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:51:30 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

G'day,

 >Reconfigurable warships should be more expensive than standard
 >because of the increased access points needed in the wiring,cabling,
 >ducting,plumbing and structural systems to allow them to be
 >configurable.

If they're dedicated modules though that slip full made and whole onto a

pre-existing spin, then why? The modular stuff I've got from my
"penguins
in space" is much more along the lines of - same bridge bit and engine
bit
always, but forward bays are interchangeable between cargo space, weapon

loaded and hangar bar space. They just slot in and get locked down - I
have
fiddled with doing thresholds on the joining points and it can be very
funny to suddenly see a row of hull boxes and a quarter of you ship
'float'
away ;)

 >So a reconfigurable hull is massx2 instead of massx1, must set
 >aside 10% of mass for accessways/connection points, and add 1 to the
 >die for threshold and damage control rolls.

I think this is too excessive all up. Why 2xmass when they have to have
the
extra mass as well, ducting is ducting in my view (now all the engineers

get free hit at Beth) and the +1 seems a bit painful if applied to all
systems not just the interchangeable ones. But that's just me.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: [FT] Fighter discussion Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games