Prev: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

[FT] Fighter discussion

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:50:05 +1000
Subject: [FT] Fighter discussion

Your math is a little out to start with:
6 mass, 18 pts for fighters on top of the 3 mass & 27 points for the
hanger.
Total cost: 9 mass (bay); 27 pts (bay) + 18 pts (fighters).

Fighters only become dangerous when there are a lot of them; even then
it's
not reliable against KV who don't care *how many* fighters you throw at
them, due to the disposable nature of their pds.

With regard to (1), you can't build an equally effective ship for the
same
mass, but for the points/cost you get a more versatile & ftl capable
vessel
with unlimited endurance.

Regarding (2), 9 PDS with wipe out a fighter squadron on average & make
major dent in 2 or more squadrons attacking at the same time.  If you
use 7
pds & 1 adfc instead, it becomes suicide if there are several ships in
support range of each other.

As an advocate of fighter operations, I've had entire flights wiped out
before firing a shot against a good pds grid & on another occasion
annihilated an SDN in 2 turns when it had no support.  With fighter
morale
being *necessary* to use with the new KV rules, fighter effectiveness
nearly
halves as soon as the squadron takes any casualties.
Eg: a sqd of 6 takes 2 casualties; 6 die * 4/6 (morale check) * 4/6
(remaining fighters) = 2 2/3 die on average effectiveness, which is only
2.1
pts average against an unscreened ship.

Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[Pirates] Dame Captain Washalot
[NPJB] Absorbent Sponge Sheesh'Ka'Baab
[MKW2] Admiral Peter Rollins - Task Force Zulu-Beta