Prev: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:23:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games

At 01:09 AM 8/17/00 -0400, mary wrote:
[snip]
>A human or phalon force cannot stand up to this set of tactics, except
>by being initially unbalanced to start.  A Sa'Vasku force of mass 240
>SDN's with 20 pod launchers, and the power to use them, backed up by a
>stinger heavy ship that jumps in on turn 6 may clean up, except that
>Sa'Vasku are easy prey for needle beams, and the closed map kills them
>(unless power generators are not allowed to be needle beam targets due
>to their distributed nature).	Against a Kra'Vak force that is
>rediculously paranoid about fighters and needle beams, this force could
>be toast (mass 240 SDN, MD 4, FTL, 72 hull, 10xFCS, 14xMKP (F?), 4xK-3
>(F), 10xK-1, 32xSG, cost 1038?)  I think that a squadron of these would
>cause some difficulty as they are not dependent on ADFC's and will
>destroy all the fighters plus a ship or two
>on the first pass.  I suspect that the MKP's are reserved for the
>shrikes.
>
>It occurs to me that the only simple and balanced way to prevent this
>problem is by excluding fighters from your campaign altogether.

Actually, the way to balance this is to get rid of the screwy (IMO)
house
rules that stiltman and his group plays with, which give an overwhelming
advantage to carrier/fighter based ships.

[to stilt]
No offense intended, Stilt, but while drastically changing the rules to
suit your group's playstyle is the fine & dandy no-one-else-really-cares
sort of thing to do, all of your arguments and points are really
presented
in an apples and oranges format, and your designs and tactics need to be
totally reevaluated when you step outside of your immediate playgroup
and
join other games that follow more of the "book" as written.

I hope to see you up here at Dragonflight, but *don't* expect me or
others
to play by your group's houserules. :-)

Mark W Shurtleff
    aka "Togashi Gaijin" on the Clan War ML
    aka "Hauptman" on the GZG and Heavy Gear ML
email: hauptman@sfcmd.com     homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com

Prev: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games Next: Re: [FT\DS2] Fleet and Army sizes for games