Prev: Re: Dragonflight Next: Re: [FT] Demo and Tournament Games

[FT] Demo and Tournament Games

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 16 Aug 2000 10:42:04 -0700
Subject: [FT] Demo and Tournament Games

As promised, here are some comments about tournament and demo games
based on
what I saw at GenCon.

Demo games:

My feeling is that demo games almost always last too long. There is no
sense of
objective with them. Of course, the idea is to play the game and learn
the game
and just have fun. The problem is that with Full Thrust the games can
take a
long time with nothing much happening.

Case in point: the vector game I played. At one point all of the action
was
down at one end of the table. However, due to the nature of the figure
placement I couldn't fire my ships without impacting opponent's ships
that
could fire at one of our other fleets. The main fighting was on the
other end
of the board, but we had to wait until that was all done before I could
get a
chance to do anything.

So, here are some proposals.

Demo Game Objective: Usually the demo games I've seen consist of 4
players a
side, and the objective is to destroy the other side's fleet. In this
variant,
every player gets the point total of a ship the destroy. Even if all
they did
was fire the very last class 1 beam weapon for one point of damage that
knocks
out some superdreadnought, they get full points for it. If you've ever
played
the fun Avalon Hill card game "Naval War" you have the idea.

If a player is eliminated, he gets more ships! However, anything
destroyed by
these new ships is only at half the point total. This keeps everyone in
the
game, but still rewards the better player.

Demo Game Ships: Everyone wants to put a large capital ship in the fleet
mix.
This, of course, means that the games take forever. I suggest 750
points,
mostly in escorts and cruisers. MAYBE a battlecruiser or battleship.
Lots of
things that go "pop", but with enough of a mix to keep things
interesting.
Maybe give everyone 1 or 2 squadrons of fighters for support, just to
give them
a feel for the fighter rules.

I would also have ship records for the big ships available. Gives them
something to drool over.

Initiative: Initiative passes back and forth between two players in a
regular
game. In our demo games, we had it pass back and forth between each
side.
Instead, each player should get to shoot at something in order. Say side
one
has players 1 and 3, and side two has players 2 and 4. Everyone rolls
initiative. Highest player goes first. Say that's player 1. Player 1
fires,
then player 2, then player 3, then player 4. If player 1 can't fire, too
bad,
the next person to fire is player 2.

This gives everyone a chance to play equally. You won't ever have to
wait until
everyone else is done before you get to fire all your ships.

Now, about tournaments...

Our double elimination tournament was a success, I believe. Certainly
most
players seemed to prefer playing 2 games for the event instead of just
one.
However, I did notice a couple of things.

We had 15 players participate, with Lew Stoneking bowing out to make the
total
an even number. All players played 2 initial games. The point total for
the two
initial games gave us our top 4 players. These top four players were
then
seeded so that player 1 played player 4 and player 2 played 3. The two
winners
of these games went on to compete for first place.

In order to get into the semi-final round, a player had to have a
combined
score of over 3700 points. That is, the total point value of ships and
fighters
destroyed + the total point value of the player's own ships and fighters
left
alive for both games had to be more than 3700 points. That wasn't a
rule,
that's just how the totals shook out. If a player and an opponent did
not
destroy any ships, they would get a score of 1500 per game. I believe
the
lowest point total for someone who had won both games was 3600+ points.

What this means is that a player didn't have a chance to make it into
the final
round if they lost their first game. It was theoretically possible that
everyone who won their first round game could lose their second round
game,
except that with the random choice of competitors for the second round
some
first round winners played other first round winners. This made it very
difficult to get into the finals if you had a bad first round.

I've been thinking about this, and I think I have a way of keeping the
game
competitive for all. This is based on the fact that we had three prize
levels
(first, second and third). It could also work for 2 levels.

Option 1: After the first the winners would be placed into the
"championship"
side, and the losers would be placed into the "consolation" side. The
champions
would then play off to find the top 4 players (or, in a smaller
tournament, top
2 players directly). The top four would get into the semi-finals with
the two
winners of the semis playing for first and second place.

The consolation players would play to choose two "consolation finalists"
who
would then play off for the third place prize.

This means that if you won your first round, you were in the running for
1st or
2nd, but if you lost your first round you could still win 3rd place.
Yes, this
does mean a player in the championship side could win both games and
still not
get 3rd prize.

Option 2: Use the first game only to seed the players for the second
game.
First plays last, etc. Then, top 4 with the second game score ONLY makes
it to
the semi-finals. The problem: by definition, and our scoring system, the
first
place player WILL play the last place player in the second elimination
round.
Not exactly the best thing to do.

Option 3: First game used to place players in two groups like option 1.
Group 1
has 25% to 40% of the players in Group 2. Two players from group 1 will
make
the semi-finals, two from group 2. This means that the second game is
more
important than the first, but the first group will dictate the ease with
which
you get into the semis.

Of the three, I prefer the third option myself.

Comments welcomed as usual (as if I had any choice...). I'd also be
interested
in hearing how others play.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: Dragonflight Next: Re: [FT] Demo and Tournament Games