Prev: Re: FB2 - Torpedo & P Torp Next: Re: [CON] ECC IV - March 2-4, 2001 - Call for participation

Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

From: "Alex Kettle" <squawk@c...>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:43:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Vertical Damage (was: [FT] nasty idea for spinal mounts)

Hi all,

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>Hull damage alone doesn't cripple a ship - it will *destroy* it
>eventually, but unless that ship also takes threshold checks it'll be
>fighting at its full strength right up 'til the second it blows up.
>Threshold checks do cripple ships, diminishing their combat power
>before they die.
>Regards,
>
>Oerjan Ohlson
>oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

I know, and I agree totally (heh you guys are the real experts on this,
I'm
still pretty new to FT). But what I was thinking was more of a support
weapon. Make it a long range weapon- and use it as I described to hit
ships
at extreme ranges. Have damage set at maybe 2-3 d6s, and use the weapon
while your other ships with more traditional beam and Ptorps (I love
this
weapon- in our first game here, my first 5 hits with one all rolled 6
damage- it's great :-) all close range. Those ships that take hits now
could
have significantly fewer columns left for the other ships to have to
destroy
to force those threshold checks. I wasn't suggesting a weapon to force
checks with one shot, I was more aiming for a support weapon, that could
be
used to weaken ships at long range for the rest of the fleet to make
quick
work of. Imagine smaller ships taking a heavy hit from it, it may not
cripple them on it's own, but now that ship could have only a couple
blocks
in each row left- easy pickings for other ships.
Anyway, as I said just a thought. If you're going for the mega gun
effect
then I agree forcing checks per column seems the right idea though.

Later,
Alexander Kettle,
Upper Canada Battle Group

Prev: Re: FB2 - Torpedo & P Torp Next: Re: [CON] ECC IV - March 2-4, 2001 - Call for participation