Prev: Re: [CON] ECC IV - March 2-4, 2001 - Call for participation Next: Re: [CON] ECC IV - March 2-4, 2001 - Call for participation

(FT) Re: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns

From: GBailey@a...
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:59:32 EDT
Subject: (FT) Re: Nova Cannons and Wave Guns

>  >Perhaps with screens being a less dominant feature of the game, the
wave
> gun
>   >could be affected by screens (like plasma bolts are, for example),
and
> could
>   >be expanded to have the F arc (which is significantly smaller than
it
once
>   >was).
>
>  Not a bad idea. Do you mean though that it fires with existing
template,
>  but anywhere in the front arc or that it now covers the front, a bit
too
>  wide I would've thought (I've been playing with the idea of just
twice as
>  wide as is now)? If you are increasing the size of the template I'd
go
>  further and say damage is only done to ships whose centre falls
within the
>  arc of fire.

I also think these weapons need a little more oomph based on their
restrictions.  I'd rather have 5 PTorps with F arcs than a Nova Cannon,
but then I'm a lousy cinematic driver.	I can then also maneuver, use
screens, and fire any other weapons.

Against stationary or slow moving targets, i.e., bases or freighters,
the NC
is too powerful
The NC is too powerful against stationary or slow moving targets, such
as bases.

Expansion of their area of effect might help.  A couple ideas:
a) Use the normal template/radius effect for full damage, and twice the
radius for 1/2 damage (roll damage and divide by 2, round up).
b) each ship hit reduces the damage by 1 die for each successive
ship hit.