Prev: RE: [ft] Orbits in Vector Next: Re: [CON] ECC IV - winter time?

Re: Borg Cube

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:44:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Borg Cube

Andy Apter wrote:
> This the first ship that I have created a new version of in reaction
all
> this great input. Check out the new cube and changes to the senario
at:
> http://pages.prodigy.net/apter/StarShipGraveYard.htm . If it is still
> small add more modules :-)

Small critique...

A lot of these ships seem much too large.  For instance, the Yamato is
indeed
a big ship... but I don't know if I'd buy it at mass 711.  At that mass,
its
"undulation gun" (i.e. nova cannon) gets rendered largely useless in a
real
game, because it has so much other weaponry that it could out-blast its
supposed biggest gun in its sleep, and would actually be _losing_
firepower in
order to fire it off.  OTOH, I begin to wonder if the nova cannon and
wave
gun need to be beefed up a bit either by house rules or something,
because
in FBx it's difficult to fit them to a ship that can't outgun them with
all
the weapons it would have to shut off in order to fire it.  Unless you
have
pretty much a dedicated supergun platform, it's kind of a waste to fit
one
if it doesn't do more damage than it does now, especially with plasma
bolts
coming around.	Perhaps the super guns should be scaleable or something.

The Borg Cube is WAY too fast in its sublight drives.  Borg Cubes are
indeed
widely acknowledged as the fastest ships in the ST universe... at _FTL_
speeds.
At sublight speeds, the things are regularly seen as practically sitting
still
while just about any race in the galaxy runs circles around it.  Thrust
6 is
just plain too fast for them, IMO.

I think that the scale could use some dropping, but aside from that it's
pretty good setup.  I'm wondering why the Atlantia looks to be mass 240
while
the Galactica is mass 400-something, and in general I think that the
ship
size just a little too far out there.  I think the ship sizes ought to
at
least be based around the same mass amounts as what we already use as
the
"norm", i.e. the Galactica would be about the size of a big SDN,
although a
Borg Cube might be three or four times that size, while the Yamato would
probably be around mass 350.

Just a thought...
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: RE: [ft] Orbits in Vector Next: Re: [CON] ECC IV - winter time?