Prev: RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own spe edlimit) [OT] Next: [FT] NIFT Update

[OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:12:30 +0100
Subject: [OT] RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory

> It has been a while since I followed particle physics, so I will waste
> a little bandwidth and ask:
>
> I have heard photons described as "free electrons".

A very erroneous description.

> Has physics predicted an anti-photon?

Photons are their own anti-particles. Same for all the mediating
bosons (gravitons, W, Z, gluons).

> If so, since light is energy (or at least
> energy expressed),

Well, everything is energy. Photons have energy, and momentum, but
have no rest mass.

> what is the result of a photon/anti-photon
> collision? Nothing (annihilation without side-effect), Non-EM
> radiation? Matter? Other?

Depends one the energy involved. Can be the creation of massive
particles. If the photons have different wavelengths then nothing,
they simply carry on regardless. I think, it's been a few years.

	Steve

Prev: RE: Actual Warp Drive Theory (was Re: Light may break its own spe edlimit) [OT] Next: [FT] NIFT Update