Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")

Re: GZG at GenCon [CLEAN STAMP]

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:31:49 -0400
Subject: Re: GZG at GenCon [CLEAN STAMP]

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:19:04 -0400, "Rick Rutherford" <Rick@esr.com>
wrote:

>Hmmm... there aren't as many StarGrunt games as there were last year.

No, there aren't. We ran 7 SG2 games last year, but we're only running 2
this
year. Part of that is Tom Pope won't be able to make it, and he ran 4
last
year.

Last year we really pushed it, but managed to run more than 30 events.
We
could have run more, as the demand was there. In fact, we had to cancel
couple due to screw-ups with the pre-reg book. This year, we're running
14,
but there's a possibility of running some more. A friend of mine who ran
4
games last year finally decided to come this year, and so I could
actually
have him run my two SG2 scenarios and two FT scenarios.

The problem with GenCon, I think, is in the way it handled miniatures
the last
two years. In '98 there were the infamous "I found the miniatures events
at
GenCon" buttons. I had people wandering around looking for me, and that
was
people who WANTED to find the events. Last year, we were in a better
location,
but it was still 2 blocks away from the convention. No real walk-up
traffic.
Out of site, out of mind...

Historical events have taken a much bigger hit. They've been spiralling
down
for a few years now. In '95 I played 5 historical minis games, all
different
systems. There aren't a lot at all this year. GenCon is getting a name
as not
being mini friendly, so fewer people go there for minis. That results in
fewer
available volunteers, so fewer games, so it becomes a self-fulfilling
prophecy. I'm starting to see the same thing in the non-historical
miniatures
events.

On the other hand, Toronto looks like a shoe-in to win the 2003 Worldcon
bid
(they find out this September). GZG events would fit VERY well at
Worldcon...

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: FB2 Fleets (or "How I Learned to Hate the Savasku")