Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: [FT] New spaceship pictures

Re: Salvo Missile Varients

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:05:24 +0100
Subject: Re: Salvo Missile Varients

In message <F509x6HHGNZ4mF1IT1800004653@hotmail.com>
	  "Brian Thompson" <brianthompson17@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think there are some good ideas here, but they would need to be
carefully
> costed and massed (ie. the EMP missile could be devastating,
especially to a
> fleet which emphasised hull mass as apposed to shields)
>
> However the light missile system seems too open to abuse.
> >Light Missile System
> >Idea I've been tinkering with - like SMR/SML, but fires single
missiles:
> >Light Missile Rack: MASS 1, cost 2, or 3 with ER missiles
> >Light Missile Launcher: MASS 1, cost 2
> >Light Missile Magazine: MASS 1/3 missiles, or 1/2 ER missiles, cost
> >MASSx3
> >
> >Use as for SMs, but to determine if missile locks on to target (after
> >defences against it are allocated) roll 1d6, 1-3 missile misses, 4-6
> >missile on target.
> >
> >Not very effective by itself (like the ods of 1 missile getting
through
> >any serious PDS are slight) - but a way of giving missile capability
> >small ships - I see it as a system for modelling genre small ships
with
> >little missiles (Millenium Falcon, perhaps?)
>
> As a KV player, the thought of having to spread my scatter guns
against them
> even after finding out which are on target is scary, never mind
allocating
> them before hand, knowing that about 50% will be wasted.
> Also, each SG could only destroy one missile (i have enough trouble
with MT
> missiles).  Ordinary PDS would also suffer from this.

[CST] Ow! damn! hadn't thought of that! Ok.. how about if a ship uses
light missile launchers/racks to fire multiple missiles at a single
target, then the missile attacks are divided into groups of 6 and
treated as salvo missile attacks, with the remainder (a group of less
than 6) rolling individually to targeting but being treated as a salvo
for defence purposes.

Of course, I can see some players building large LML (Light Missile
Launcher) platforms and spreading the missile out over every target in
range!

Another fix - assume that SMRs/SMLs get a certain amount of size/cost
reduction from component redundancy that single shot LMR/LMLs don't get
-
ie.
SMR - MASS 4, COST 12, ie. MASS 2/3, COST 2 per missile
SMR(ER) - MASS 5, COST 15, ie. MASS 5/6, COST 2.5 per missile
LMR - MASS 1, COST 3, ie. MASS 1, COST 3 per missile (50% more)
yup, I've put the costs up :-)
can't come up with good figures for LMR(ER)s though :-(

SML - MASS 3, COST 9 (launcher), ie. MASS 1/2, COST 1.5 per missile
LML - MASS 1, COST 3, ie. MASS 1, COST 3 per missile (100% more)

Magazine - MASS 1/2 missiles

I think I'll junk ERLM (extended range light missiles) for the time
being.

I dont know if these changes can fix these things - If they can't be
fixed I'll bin 'em :-(

> In short, i think there is a real danger that some players would abuse
this
> system by putting stacks of them on big ships, and swamping the
opposition.

Going to try and fix this by making 'em more expensisive than equivalent
SM system, see above.

Charles

--

Prev: Re: FT at Origins, or lack of Next: Re: [FT] New spaceship pictures