Prev: going OT somewhat... (Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs) Next: Re: Movie Review: Titan A.E.

Re: OT\DS2- Is this the world's most hideous AFV camouflage (Indian BMP-2)

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: 06 Jul 2000 12:06 GMT
Subject: Re: OT\DS2- Is this the world's most hideous AFV camouflage (Indian BMP-2)

> > Just wondering in what kind of environment that 'camouflage' is
> > supposed to be effective.
>
> Nyrath wrote
>	Well, you do know, don't you, that camoflage is more to
>	break up a fighting unit's outline than it is to
>	make the unit fade into the background?

Well, yes, though I'm not that sure about the 'more ... than ...'
Even so, it's hard to believe that this scheme is effective as
camouflage.

1) Even if the primary purpose is breaking up the outline, the colours
should not contrast too markedly with the environment. Bright yellow is
sure to draw the eyes
2) The lines on the hull are parallel to the vehicle's edges, which is
not a good way to break up the outline
3) The multi-colored wheels should draw the eye when the vehicle is
moving (they often will be covered by grass or dust, though)

It might be designed to fool some kind of fire-control equipment, but
to me it looks more like a Lego advertisement.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: going OT somewhat... (Re: S:AAB USS Saratoga specs) Next: Re: Movie Review: Titan A.E.