Prev: Re: Simple Questions Next: [Review] Faded Sun Trilogy

Re: Sa'Vasku FTL

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 23:55:42 +0200
Subject: Re: Sa'Vasku FTL

John Leary wrote:

>>If it is only the power requirement that's important for SV FTL
jumps,
>>why do large SV ships have physically bigger FTL drives than small
>>ones?
>
>     The 'S' are marginal as is with the power required to make a
jump.  >(To make a graceful exit from battle, the 'S' must start the
jump
>process prior to the damage entering the third row of damage boxes.
>So that the damage taken during the warm up process will not reach
>the end of the third row.

The standard SV procedure around here is to break off in sublight space
before attempting to jump, so when the ship begins its FTL preparations
there usually aren't any enemy ships nearby to shoot at it - or at
least not enough with enough weapons to wipe an entire hull row. If the
SV has repaired the upper-row PGs they won't have any worries at all
about power loss, since a repaired PG can only be re-downed by
destroying the entire ship.

>     But to rationalize your question, the 'S' have power problems as
the >basis for the game.   (Exactly like the early Star Fleet Battles
game.)	 If >the 'S' require too much power to jump, they could never
be a viable
>force in battle and would always run away or be forced to fight to the
>death when the first row of damage boxes was completed.

You "rationalize" my question, but you don't seem to actually *answer*
it. If an SV ship can carry any Mass into FTL, regardless of the
physical size of its drive, by pouring more power into it, why don't
they all just have a Mass-1 drive and replace the rest of the FTL drive
with bigger PGs?

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Simple Questions Next: [Review] Faded Sun Trilogy