Prev: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters

Re: Glen's ship designs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 21:09:07 +0200
Subject: Re: Glen's ship designs

Glen Bailey wrote:

>Re: many references to odd number of hull boxes.
>Once I heard that FB2 allows this I started doing it.	Makes it
>much easier to remove one or two hull boxes to squeeze in that
>"critical" system.

That's exactly why this rule was introduced <g>

>>>I also wrote
>>> up some rules to reflect some SFB rules: HET, all thrust
>>> can be used for turning (cinematic of course)
>>
>>This is effectively the same as the Kra'Vak drives in MT and FB2,
>>though I assume that the HET isn't available all the time.
>
>That's where the idea came from, after someone mentioned it
>after reading my first draft of SFB Thrust.
>
>As for HETs, the first one can be done safely, the following ones
>have a die roll involved and failure causes a Bridge hit, a
>Main Drive hit, and 1D6 damage to hull; although, the HET still
>occurs but you won't be able to shoot.
>
>>>armor is really ablative shielding so is fixable
>>
>>Auto-repairing armour/ablative shields are awfully difficult to
>>balance, but if they're fixable by damage control parties or similar
>>they should be OK-ish.
>
>As long as everyone can do it then balancing shouldn't be a
>problem.

Depends on the exact mechanism used, but any kind of "regenerating"
armour strongly favours the ship with the highest regeneration rate -
which usually means the largest one in those variants I've seen so far.
Most of them have been used in SFB-to-FT conversions, BTW.

>>>Gorns and Romulans are not restricted when using Wave Guns for
>>>screens and other weapons fire (hmm, didn't add anything about
>>>beams reducing the damage of a Wave Gun).
>>
>>Sounds somewhat similar to the Phalon Plasma Bolts in FB2 :-/
>
>So I've heard.  But, SFB had it before FT.

Guess which weapons inspired the Phalon Plasma Bolts...? <g> What I
meant was that the mechanic you're looking for sounds similar to the
mechanics used for the PBLs.

>>>Not to be used with regular FT designs unless they also receive the
>>>same benefits.
>>
>>...or the ST adaptions have their costs adjusted to compensate <g>
>
>Which is hard to judge except by experts such as yourself, Oerjan.

Enough trial-and-error can make anyone an expert. After all it worked
for me...

>I doubt if anyone will play my version of SFB Thrust, but it was
>fun reminiscing and making SSDs.  I love designing ships and can
>hardly wait for FB2 when I'll be in Thrust heaven  :).

<g>

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] FB2 Balancing Corrections Proposed Next: Re: Sa'Vasku Pre-Loaded Fighters