Prev: Re: My designs (PWB Game) Next: Re: [FH] Battle report

Re: My designs (PWB Game)

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:47:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: My designs (PWB Game)

On 22-Jun-00 at 04:46, colin.plummer@theplanet.net
(colin.plummer@theplanet.net) wrote: > Thus spoke Roger Books on Wed,
Jun 21,
2000 at 12:51:20PM -0400 :

> [Snippy snippy]
> > >
> > > What Colin has is in alpha test mode.  He has six players signed
up
> > > with 1200 point fleets each.  The system supports beams, FC,
armor,
> > > and screens, so the designs will be a bit unconventional without
> > > a fighter or missile threat.
> >
> > I had one of those and dropped it for the current project.	The big
> > problem is I tried to limit things to only two phases, which gets
> > kind of nasty with fighters.
>
> [snip explanation of fighters and defences]
>
> > Talk about fun to code. :)
>
> I've got around it by modifying the turn sequence.
>
> Turn reports give the position -after- movement, but before firing,
fighter
> attacks, missile attacks etc...  Once I have implemented fighter I
intend
> to list all declared fighter/missile attacks in the turn report.  So
the
> player can assign defences directly.
>
> This does mean that all movement has to be conditional - but I think
thats
> simpler than conditional firing/fighter attacks/PDS/ADFC etc... :)

I'm not going to be doing conditional attacks at all, I'm  doing
two phases to a turn.  One is movement/fighter/missiles, the other
is allocating fire.  One other major change to the real FT rules
is that all damage _in a phase_ will be simultaneous.

I'm trying for a fairly high level, admiral feel to the game.  Actually,
I'm working from the campaign level down as the main reason for this
is to deal with a campaign without GM  intervention.  All the campaign
hooks are in the perl module.	You need an actual perl program to
put such things in  place as world placement (although the worlds have
a place to live in the module), repair, building, etc etc.

Roger

Prev: Re: My designs (PWB Game) Next: Re: [FH] Battle report