Prev: RE: My designs Next: [OT] Summer Reading List

Re: My designs (PWB Game)

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: My designs (PWB Game)

On 21-Jun-00 at 11:10, Davis, Jonathan E (CRD) (davisje@crd.ge.com)
wrote:

> On 20-Jun-00 at 23:06, Laserlight (laserlight@quixnet.net) wrote:
> > >
> > >I'm about 2 weeks away from having my PBW site up.  The perl
> > module
> > >is alpha.	I'm working on a Javascript interface.	When I feel
> > it
> > >works well I have some mass PBW games in mind.
> >

> > You've talked with Colin Plummer who's also working on this sort
> > of thing?
> >

> Nope, I thougth the only thing going on was human moderated with
> spreadsheet tools.  Does he have a web page or e-mail?
>
> Roger
>
> --
>

> What Colin has is in alpha test mode.  He has six players signed up
> with 1200 point fleets each.	The system supports beams, FC, armor,
> and screens, so the designs will be a bit unconventional without
> a fighter or missile threat.

I had one of those and dropped it for the current project.  The big
problem is I tried to limit things to only two phases, which gets
kind of nasty with fighters.

Basicly, fighters may target a point in space or a ship.  They will
use their full normal move to get there.  They move AFTER ships.
If they are then within 12inches of their target and have two or
more CEF left they will close with their target.  The may also be
assigned a ship escort role.

Fighters have priorities (assigned by the game, you can't change
them.)

They are:  1.  Interceptors
	   2.  Things that don't fit other catagories
	   3.  Attack Fighters
	   4.  Torp fighters.
	   5.  Missiles

When hostile contact is made it works through like this:

The highest priority defender is matched to the highest priority
attacker, the next highest is matched to the next until you run
out of one or the other.  Simultaneous combats occur, everyone
involved loses a CEF and is marked as having fired this turn.

<Logic, Interceptors go out first to clear the way.>

Next, after doing all ships with fighter coverage, PDS fire comes
in.

PDS randomly picks an attacking fighter group and fire at it.  If
more damage is done than fighters remain in the group the excess
is lost.

  Ships without ADFC fire PDS's
  Ships with ADFC defend targets they are assigned to gaurd unless
    ordered to defend _any_.
  Ships with ADFC fire left defend themselves, ships with _any_ defend
    themselves.
  Ships with ADFC and _any_ orders fire at fighters attacking ships
within
    6MU.

You may have multiple ADFCs each with a different defense target.

After all damage is done the fighters make their attacks and spend
a CEF.

Talk about fun to code. :)

Roger (Comments welcome, note fighters are stronger because they
move after ship movement, but PDS fire gets better because when
a group of fighters is eliminated they are not targetted by followup
PDS fire.)

Prev: RE: My designs Next: [OT] Summer Reading List