Prev: RE: [FT] Fleet Survey #1: Fleet Ownership Next: [FT] Full Thrust Ship Design Spreadsheet (FB2)

Fw: Stellar database

From: "Roger Gerrish" <roger.gerrish@l...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:41:52 +0100
Subject: Fw: Stellar database

From: K.H.Ranitzsch <KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de>
To: GZG-l <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2000 9:29 PM

> > Laserlight wrote:
> > > No guarantee on the accuracy--I just found it today--but perhaps
> > > of interest.
> > >
> > > http://www.stellar-database.com/
> >
> > *Very* accurate.
> > I had been in touch with this gentleman before.
> >
> Have you looked at the entries for the core systems? Alpha
> Centauri and Barnard's Star are, er, hm, ... interesting environments.
>
> Greetings
> Karl Heinz

Alpha Centauri and especially Barnards Star are probably not good
candidates
for Earth Type worlds, however they are close to Sol  and would in all
liklihood be grabbed quickly in the early stages of competative
Interstellar
expansion.
I note in FB2 it mentions the Kravak attacks on Centaurus ravaged the
orbital colonies, perhaps this is where the majority of the population
resides.

The 'Man-Kzin War' books are largely set in the Wunderland (Alpha
Centauri)
system which boasts both a garden world and a heavily populated asteroid
belt which was colonised by Earth Asteroid miners.

As for Banards star, well I assume that this system assumed greater
importance in the late 21st century as it  was the target of the First
Trans-Solar probe in 2063. Of course it may be that the early probes
were
only capable of limited range jumps and Barnard was seen as a suitable
waypoint for extended Interstellar expansion. (a sort of GZG universe
Babylon 5?)

Looking at the future history I would guess that 'New Israel' in the
Epsilon
Indi System was the first Earth Type world discovered in the
neighbourhood.

Roger

Prev: RE: [FT] Fleet Survey #1: Fleet Ownership Next: [FT] Full Thrust Ship Design Spreadsheet (FB2)