Prev: [FT] Modular fighter rules ? Next: RE: [FT]: SV womb mod for fighters

Re: Retrograde skirmishers

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:08:07 -0400
Subject: Re: Retrograde skirmishers

Stilt:

> Small addendum... while they'd have far more than the 4 the FB1 ships
> typically have, they'd also have far _less_ than the 42 Noam's
suggesting
> on his ship... that might be useful against carriers, but it's
use_less_
> against battleships, and in our games you have to be able to deal with
> both.  Too much is assumed to be at stake to allow you to just bug out
> if you guess wrong and leave an uncontested hole in the battle lines.

While I'd be willing to guess that some might win more often than loose,
have yet to see it proved that any of the BC designs you've described
can
easily whip the Beam-6 fleet. The superior thrust of the "strike" BC's
makes
it a running game, but if the beam 6 forces can keep the distance open
long
enough, it's anyone's game. Question is how long is long enough. I also
wouldn't assume that a Beam-6 sniping fleet would ever be a primary
_defense_ fleet.

Remember - again - that the Beam 6 fleet with that PDS load was designed
_specifically_ to take out your origninal dreadplanet design. I also
said
(more than once) that just like your original DP, the Beam-6 fleet would
have to be tweaked to meet other challenges. Not exactly fair to hold me
one design while you bring out your entire fleet binder.

As an aside, I'm very curious how Oerjan caught his long range attackers
with his slower force.

Noam

Prev: [FT] Modular fighter rules ? Next: RE: [FT]: SV womb mod for fighters