Prev: Re: Retrograde skirmishers Next: Re: War against leaders

Re: War against leaders sorta, kinda was RE: Crowbars

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:41:11 -0500
Subject: Re: War against leaders sorta, kinda was RE: Crowbars

***
Actually, that would be fairly affective if the UN was powerful enough
(or had enough help from the big guys).
***

While the current Earth gets low marks as 'civilized', there is some
movement towards outlawing such activities; true, often used as a
justification for one's own such activities, but there's some progress.

In SPI's Starforce Trilogy universe, there was a definite disconnect
between the activities in space and those on the ground, as well as a
basic 'non-violent' warfare.

In my own vague future history, and, yes, I'll be getting back to the
corporate question soon, the destruction caused by the corporate wars,
helped reinforce an attitude of 'those silly space boys can blow
themselves up if they wish, but they better not involve civilians if
they want continued support from where it REALLY counts'.

This has failed several times in the recent past, but could actually
function for awhile.

I'd see this adjusted after the first colony attacked by Kra'vak...

***
Using weapons of mass destruction against populated areas is considered
such a terrible thing that the law requires removing your genes from
the gene pool.	You will be executed and all your family (to, say
1st cousins maybe) will be sterilized.
***

Unfortunately, some governments are mere puppets with the true rulers
well hidden, or even completely absorbed into a complex and souless
bureaucracy. I don't think simple gun-to-head is enough; it would take
a human-space-wide cultural change.

On the other hand, I think we still have a chance of PSB'ing planet
death wars out of the question.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

Prev: Re: Retrograde skirmishers Next: Re: War against leaders